The Bed

"A bomb hit our headquarter this morning, leaving only a few alive. I am afraid he didn't make it, your fiancée passed away"

"I'm sorry, what?"

"We are sorry, ma'am, for the bad news...", he said more words but I couldn't figure out what they were, I stood there in shock.

"Ok... Bye", I hung up without letting the man finish whatever he was saying, "Fuck", I said under my breath.

"Emily...? Is everything ok?", Benedict said, breaking the deep silence of the flat.

"I need you to leave", I said sharply, before I started to cry.

"Why? What happened?", I heard him get up from the chair.

"Don't come close. Just go", he didn't say anything else, I heard him walk to the guest room and then he left without saying a word. I needed to be alone for a while. I called Michael's parents, they were broken into a million pieces like I was. I went back to bed and stayed there all day long, crying, feeling like my heart was missing something. Michael had been gone for three months to Iraq, and now he was completely gone from this world? It was shitty, it all felt really wrong.
I drove to my parents' house, because I couldn't stand to feel so alone - and I didn't want to be alone at night.

"It's midnight, dear. Can't believe you just drove two hours to get here. Is everything alright? What happened?", my mom had opened the door for me, I went in and gave her a hug.

"I am not ok", that's all I could say. I walked to the kitchen and opened the fridge to get something to eat, but I didn't see anything that would make me feel better.

"Please tell me what happened, Em", my mom said worried once I closed the fridge's door.

"It's Michael, ma", she gasped, and hugged me again but tighter.

"Is he gone?", she said softly.

"... Yeah", I broke down again, this time in her arms, feeling her comfort, feeling safe in her arms. She sat me down and made me something decent to eat. My dad appeared a few minutes later, still half asleep. Us three sat there, sad, our hearts weighting a whole bunch. They obviously let me stay in one of the guest rooms, and I spent Sunday with them, trying to cope with my feelings. They took me out around town to get fresh air, they tried to make me laugh, made my favorite food for lunch and even let me watch a movie before driving back to London.

I got barely any sleep and I was a dead zombie on Monday morning when I got to work. Coffee wasn't working, neither was the red bull, so I simply tried my best to stay awake and not cry, because my heart was still weak.

"Don't ask anything", I told everyone who came up to me, "Just do your work", I sat on my chair, massaging my forehead.

"Your parents told me", Martin said to me almost with a whisper, "They are worried for you", he hugged me.

"They shouldn't, I'll be fine"

"You should be in America, with his family"

"No, I'm fine here", he frowned, and got mad at me.

"Em!", he said on a mad tone, "You are not ok"

"I am fine, Martin!", I got sort of pissed, I took a deep breath, "Sorry... I just. Being here takes my mind away for a while, I need that. I'll go on Friday for his funeral", I took his hand, "Thank you for worrying. Please don't tell anyone", with a smile he said he promised he wouldn't.

The day went smooth, we all worked over-time to get the night scenes we needed. Everyone was visibly tired, and I tried my best to get our schedule done before the time designated.

"Emily, would you like to watch the scene we just recorded, just to make sure that you like it?", one of the cameramen asked me.

"No, it's fine. I liked number two, print that one. We're done for the day, see you tomorrow", with a yawn I looked at the time, 1:36am.

"Do you need a ride?", Benedict asked me.

"I'll go walking, thanks", I smiled at him.

"At one in the morning? Impossible, I can't let that happen", I thought about it for a second, I got up and walked close behind him and followed him to his car.

"Sorry about the other day, I was-"

"Martín told me", I rolled my eyes, "Don't be mad at him, I asked. I was worried for you, and I am very sorry for your loss"

"Thanks", I sighed, "I was supposed to get married with him when he came back from the war", I silently cried. Once again, I found myself crying to someone I barely knew, "I'm sorry this keeps on happening", I wiped the tears away.

"It's fine, Emily. You can tell me whatever you want, I'll listen. Do you want to keep on talking about him?"

"No... I think it isn't a good idea", I looked out the window, "Take your right, it's the black building", he parked outside. I actually didn't want to get out of the car, going back to bed meant crying even more and I didn't want that.

"Will you be alright?", I looked at him.

"Could you stay with me tonight, please? I can't be alone, it's horrible inside my head", without thinking about it, he got out of the car and opened the door for me. He walked at my side until we got to my flat. I left the purse and my jacket on the sofa and went immediately to my bedroom. Benedict stood by the door, looking at me, waiting for me to say something. I looked at him.

"Don't by shy, a king bed is big enough for like, five people to sleep in", I said as I laughed, he simply smiled and sat on the other side of the bed. I took off my clothes, leaving only the underwear and got under the sheets, I was too tired to put on my pajamas. Benedict only looked at me, "I know this is weird, but I promise I don't bite. I just need company"

"I know", he said softly. He took off his shirt and rested himself on bed.

"It's ok if you get under the covers", I closed my eyes, trying to get some rest.

"Goodnight, Emily", he turned off the lights. I felt him move a little, and then felt his warmth.

"Night", I opened my eyes and stared at the ceiling for a little, "Benedict?"

"Hmm?"

"Thank you", what was I doing? Telling someone to sleep with me because I was feeling too lonely? At least Benedict is a nice man. I don't know why he felt like home, like if I had known him for years, since the beginning I knew I could trust him, "Sleep well"

"You too"