Mist (A Short Story)

HEY READERS: HERE IS MY STORY CALLED MIST. PLEASE TELL ME WHAT YOU THINK AND VOTE!!!! THANKS :D

It was 1789. The cold dark night was amidst this unlucky 17 year old. He carried at least 70 pounds of armor and a sack of food. Rain pounded on his sweaty forehead as he climbed down a steep mountain. Off in the distance stood at least forty men running at the colossal tower that was 80 feet from where he stood. Being a cautious fellow he carefully took a step forward and suddenly found himself face to face with a burly man with huge muscles and an uncut beard. Suddenly Jack bolted back up the steep incline as quick as he could away from the beastly man. The giant figure bolted after him, holding a blood-stained knife. Marcus (the muscular one,) flung his knife right into Jack’s left leg. “Aughhh,” Jack groaned in pain. He immediately tried to escape although Marcus was too fast for him. The tough 7ft man caught up to him and pounded his fist into Jack’s head.

          “Whoa… where am I?” Jack found himself with a goose-eyed head and bleeding leg inside a dark chamber. He tried moving around although his head hurt too much and his leg was in too much pain. He lay there…. Soundless.

“Have you got him?”    

 “Yes we’ve got him sir.”

“Good. Have you told him yet?”

“No sir.”

“Alright back to your duties.”

       ‘What the’ thought Jack as he pressed his ear into the metal wall. Someone was out there and they were hiding something. Jack needed to figure out a plan. He wasn’t at all used to being beat on the head them randomly put in a dark cell. He slowly got up and felt his way around. The walls were chilly and the ground felt like gravel. Jack felt his pockets. ‘Crap! They’ve taken everything including all my armor’ He continued to feel around and suddenly remembered where he had put his knife. He cautiously reached down his ripped shirt for it. Jack pulled it out with ease and swung the deadly weapon around the room. He wasn’t going to take any chances.

       The loud war cries continued to echo outside the castle. Marcus paced the room impatiently. He was strictly commanded to guard the kid inside the jail. Blood still dripped from his blade from when he had thrown it. “Hey, let me outta here!!!” yelled Jack.

“You’re getting what you deserve… Bloody Austrian!!!!! Now shut up and keep quiet” snapped Marcus.

      The long night continued to wear on as Jack’s stomach groaned louder and louder. After 3 hours the metal doors swung open to an obese man with an angry temper. “Come with me!” he ordered, without another sound. Jack cautiously stepped out and was immediately surrounded by dozens of guards.

     Jack stepped into a large room, with fancy ornaments ands pretty pictures. The man he had been following saw him and started talking. “So, I hear you were sneaking about around my palace. Is this true?”

Without any further obligation Jack responded. “No! I was enjoying the scenery,” he lied.

“Oh, well, uh, leave my palace!!!”

“Ok,” Jack stood up from the chair and was once again engulfed by dozens of guards as he walked toward the exit. His complex task still hadn’t been met, although at least he would make it out alive. Or not?

     After rounding the seventh corner the exit finally appeared. Jack still had his one an only weapon and he thought he may never use it…. Till now! Jack lunged at a guard in front of him and stabbed him. The guard promptly fell forward with the blade still stuck in his back. Jack gasped at the horrifying sight although before he could think, the kid was out the door! The 11 guards wasted no time and immediately bolted after him with their swords drawn and ready for battle. They stormed out, not even realizing he had snuck back in.

      Jack couldn’t’ believe it; he had made it back in and none of the guards even noticed. He vigilantly snuck behind a close by wall to not be seen by the guards flooding the doorway. Jack needed a weapon. He needed to kill another guard. But how? Jack pondered for a few minutes, and came up with an idea. He waited until the coast was clear and made into the far end of the castle where the jails were. Jack recognized the man who was watching the prisoners. It was Marcus! He looked furious. Jack peered around the corner where he stood holding a sword in his right hand and a key in his left. Jack cautiously tip-toed in his direction still questioning if he should take the risk. The cells appeared identical to the one he was kept in, although these cells contained 7 yelling prisoners. Jack was now only 6 feet from his rival.

      Marcus sensed a noise and turned rapidly to face Jack. Marcus yanked the sword out of its holster and pointed it at a trembling Jack. He thrust the heavy blade at him, although missed by inches. Jack ran at him, not even thinking about turning back. Jack kicked his steel-toe boot into Marcus’s bare shins, which immediately caused a outbreak of blood. Marcus slashed the sword into Jack’s arm. “AAAAAarhhhhh,” he groaned in pain. Marcus turned around and summoned for more guards although was unaware that Jack has just slipped the dagger from Marcus’s pocket and stabbed it hard in his right side. Marcus stuttered one last word and fell to the ground. Dead.

“Oh yeah!!” Jack congratulated himself as the seven prisoners cheered him on. Jack picked up the blood-covered key and unlocked each prisoner. The inmates thanked him and fled from the castle. Jack knew that now he must face the very difficult task of escaping from The Bastille. He took one step forward and collapsed to the ground with an arrow in his back.