"You don't seem to like him" Zayn looks up and sighs.

"Lou" Zayn stands up, "You're not over Harry. I know you're not" Louis blinks and rolls his eyes, "He's having the same traits, Lou ... Just talk to me" Zayn tries with his soft approach, big pleading eyes that Louis doesn't avoid this time as he stands in his place.

"He's not" Louis replies, "Those traits just happen to be my type" he shrugs, "And it's not like ... There's a whole ocean separating us, Zayn" Louis shakes his head.

But Zayn knows Louis. "Are you taking this relationship seriously?" Louis avoids his gaze again.

"I'll try" Louis' voice is quiet, quieter than usual. Zayn doesn't push him.

It's only seconds later that Louis is wishing him a good night and hopping over the stairs.

=====

"Just place them on that shelf" His co-worker, Jeff, tells him and he nods, placing the newly arrived books on the said shelf before stepping back towards the counter. Their first customer comes in and Zayn doesn't bother looking from his phone when he hears Jeff welcoming them.

But Jeff's voice startles him again, "Oh! Well, we're only starting and there's no customers still so you can go on!" Zayn looks up when he hears someone clearing their throat and raises his brows.

"Yes?"

"Just thought of stopping by" Doug smiles and digs his hands in his pockets awkwardly, "Well ... You don't seem to like me very much. Am I giving away that bad impression already?"

"I don't ... I've never said that I don't like you"

Doug sighs, "So why were you giving me all those narrowed eyes and bothered looks?"

Zayn presses his lips for a second before speaking up, "I didn't mean to. Just a bad day" he shrugs, "Why do you even care?" he frowns.

"Because you're Louis' little brother. He cares for you a lot and winning your approval means that we can go on" Doug gives him a hopeful look but Zayn doesn't know how to reply. Should he tell him he's cool with it? Why would it matter anyway? He and Louis always talk, and if it happens to be abut Doug then it'll be about Doug, and Zayn would never tell Louis to do something against his heart if Louis is considering this a serious relationship.

"Winning my approval?" Zayn repeats.

"At least get to know me first" Doug suggests, "We can hang out" Zayn blinks. It's not Doug, he's just worried about Louis' feelings being true or not. His approval of Doug isn't that hard to gain actually, he just needs to confirm whether or not Louis is moving on correctly. But getting to know Doug seems like an opportunity to see if he's indeed that man Louis thinks he is. He only got to sit with him once, and he finds himself nodding slowly.

"Okay"

"Okay?" Doug repeats with raised brows and a wide –unsure– smile. Zayn gets this feeling at the pit of his stomach again but he settles for another nod. He doesn't smile and he isn't completely sure of why, but Doug asks for his number and Zayn gives it to him. It's for Louis, he tells himself again as Doug leaves the shop.

He hears Jeff's whistle from his place as he opens the door of the shop. "Dude, you should totally come check this out!" Zayn knows Jeff by now, it's probably another hot guy passing by because Jeff's gay and single. Zayn just shakes his head with a smile as he sits on the chair behind the counter and opening a book. Reading is a good thing to do when they have no customers and it helps spend the day.

"I'm telling you, he's totally a pop star" Jeff speaks up again and Zayn chuckles.

"Yeah?"

"Totally" Jeff repeats.