Chapter fifthteen: In Between

Start from the beginning

    "Mitsuki, how could I ever forget my little sister?" She lifted her head and frowned at me. I touched her forehead and kissed her head.

    "What's really going on?" I could tell just by examining her face. I could always tell if she was telling the truth. She hated to feel weak. She knew she was defeated and escaped from my grasp. She looked away for a long moment and wiped her growing tears away.

   "That's it, nothing else." She adjusted her school bag and walked toward the school's entrance. I stood in the way of many falling blossoms and sighed.

Why won't she tell me?

•  •  •

Akihito Kanbara

    Finally it was our free period and I went to look for Hiroomi. The hallways were partially empty except for a few wall-huggers chatting among themselves. My eyes searched for the familiar, soft face of a Nase, and ended up finding Mitsuki. I smiled. She might know where he is.

I walked up to her and waved my hand. I was about to speak when I finally processed her current state. Her eyes were watery and her cheeks were moist and red. Her eyes were accompanied with small bags and puffiness. My eyebrows raised and my smile faded.

   "Hey, Mitsuki," I tapped her shoulder, hoping that would catch her attention. It did, she looked up at me and when she realized it was me, she looked away quickly and tried to cover her face from my view.

   "Oh, hey, Akihito." We stood in the hallway in silence for awhile. I didn't know if it was safe to ask if something had happened.

   "So, um, how are you?" Her eyes were like knives cutting at mine. I scratched my head and cleared my throat. Probably...shouldn't have asked it that way...

   "I'm fine," she said and looked done already with our conversation. I remembered why I confronted her in the first place.

   "Oh, have you seen Hiroomi?" I asked looking around. When she didn't answer right away, I faced her again. Her fist became clenched and her teeth chomped down on her bottom lip.

   "Mit–"
   "Why is everything about you and Hiroomi?!" I was taken aback from her sudden volume. Her voice echoed in my mind and I started to feel something ache in my heart. I started to see the water in her eyes expand.

   "I mean, seriously! Hiroomi used to be all over me and now he doesn't even look my way! I'm his second choice! And you can't seem to understand how I feel about you. And, and, the only reason I constantly insult you two is because...it's because..." I didn't know what to do or say at this point. She practically poured her feelings out and I was left speechless. Finish, I thought, finish your sentence. Because of what?

Before I could hear what her last words were, I forced myself to do something. I lunged forward and flung my arms around her. I then held her out with my hands on her shoulders and looked down at her sternly.

   "Hiroomi's your big brother," I began and took a deep breath.

   "You will always be his first choice."  Her face was left stunned. I hugged her and then reassured her. It was probably the first time we had meaningful, physical contact. She then broke the moment by shoving my hands away. She quickly wiped her tears away.

   "You still don't get it, do you? It's not just Hiroomi, it's–" she stopped herself, wide eyes and covered her mouth. Through her fingers you could see the color of her cheeks turn pink. Oh, my heart skipped a beat, now I get it.

   "Mitsuki, by any chance, are you jealous of Hiroomi?" Her face said it all. It was true. She stomped her foot.

   "Shut up! Why would I be jealous of my perverted brother?!" That's it. The old Mitsuki was back. Although, this one was rather flustered and more vulnerable. I then couldn't help it, I released a laugh that echoed in the halls. She stomped her foot again and continued with being the annoyed girl with a rapid fire of insults.

I couldn't help but keep laughing. I've never seen her tell a lie that I could decipher.

   "Would you shut up already!" She then punched me in the arm.

   "Ow! Hey! Violence is never the answer!" I whined. I then felt a familiar form start to grow around my waist. A head looked over my shoulder and laughed.

   "Well, if it isn't my two favorite people." I smiled at Hiroomi and then glimpsed over at Mitsuki. Her face was still annoyed, but also lonely. I smirked and whispered something in Hiroomi's ear. He nodded and  let go.

   "Ready?" I whispered. He lifted his hands and wiggled then around.

   "Set...go!" We both ran up to Mitsuki and captured her into a hug.

   "Hey! What the–?" We snuggled her and Hiroomi then planted a kiss on her red cheek. I then gave her a kiss on her other cheek. She made a surprised and disturbed sound and tried to escape. We then looked at her and squeezed her tight.

   "We love you, Mitsuki!" She then stopped in her tracks and took a deep breath. I thought I almost saw her frown inch towards a smile. She then shoved us free.

   "Alright, alright, enough of your pity." She then started to walk away, but then stopped. She moved a piece of hair out of her way and looked back at us.

   "Thanks guys. I'm sorry for being so stupid." Hiroomi and I stared at her for her smile was revealed. Her smile glowed so much with happiness. "So cute!!" Hiroomi and I whispered. She then ran back to us quickly and wrapped her arms around each of our necks.

   "I love you guys, too." She then released us and walked away. We were stuck, stunned and happy she was better.

A/n: Wow, I almost got out of character a little, but if I did, I apologize!

Next Update: December 15th