The Beginning

Emedium Naywhale

"Ridian! Where are you?" Lanora yells into the scrambling crowd of the village of Naywhale. "Oh where are you? Please don't be somewhere you're not supposed to be." She whispers to herself with worry. Turning and turning she still doesn't see him anywhere. "Mother! I'm right here it's okay." Ridian says as he meets her in the middle of the scrambling crowd." I was getting father's ring. I was afraid if I left it I wouldn't see it again." He says with tears filling his light brown eyes.

Oh those eyes the eyes she had seen all his life. The eyes she had wiped tears from, the eyes she loves, and the eyes that loves her." That ring will never leave you." She says with a comforting smile, and a stroke of his cheek. "Okay the Beleg worriers and I I are going to hold the shadows off." She says with a concerned look on her sons face." Don't worry everything will be alright." She says with tears filling her eyes.

Taking a moment to look in each others loving eyes. She breaks the gaze by grabbing a pouch from her belt and puts it in his hands." I need you to take this powder and cast a protection spell for the village." She says while he gazes up at her with a worried look on his face.

"Don't be scared, it's okay there will be Selests there to help you on your way." She tells him in hopes to comfort him."Selests... I thought they were just a myth?" He says while looking at her confident smile. "Always remember anything is real as long as you believe in it." She says with a smile and magic in her voice.

"I do believe." He says with a inspired look in his eyes."Good. Now go and do this for our people, then we will soon find freedom." She says as the pulls her blade out. "Lanora! We need you here now they're coming!" Ganton leader of the Beleg warriors yells.

"Go I am needed here. Take this, use it well, your going to need it." She says as she gives him her sword. As he takes it in his hand he looks at her in amazement. "Your giving this to me? This is your sword I can't take this." He says as he holds it out waiting for her to take it back.

She pushes the blade back against his body. "This sword was my fathers and his before that." She tells him, just like she had told him before, so many times, she doesn't finish. Instead of finishing it she changes it. "This sword has been in this family for generations and now you will take it. And when you have children, you too will give it to one of them." She tells him with hope in her eyes. The hope that has never left.

"Go, you need to cast the spell so we can protect the people of this village." She tells him as he takes the sword in his hand. "I love you so much mother. And I won't do this in fear. I will do this as a son who will help protect his people." He says as tears of joy run down her cheeks.

"I love you so much. Your father would be so proud of you." She says while embracing him, he dries her tears. Quickly she wrapped her arms around him and pulled him against her. The warmth he had always felt when he hugged her. Some reason it was different, he didn't know why it just, was. But he didn't care one bit, all he cared about was his mothers love for him.

After a moment of embrace she joins the others. Knowing he can do this, she turns and looks at him with a comforting smile. And in that moment he knew it was time for him to go into the forest and cast the spell. 

Sticking to the path he kept His mothers love in his heart. After a few minutes from staying on the path he finds a fork in the road. "Seriously now where do I go?" Ridian says with the raise of arms showing his frustration. He walks over to a tree stump and sits.

After a few moments of staring at the path he hears something. Looking up he sees nothing. "Hello. Who's there?" He says into the darkness. I should've brought a lantern he thought to himself. "You don't need one." Someone yells out making him jump. Looking closer into the darkness of the forest suddenly he sees a shimmering light appear before him.

"It's a Selest. Mom was right you are real." He says in awe. Looking at the fairy like creature. You are brighter than I imagined he thought to himself."Yes well things aren't always what you think they might be. They always end up different than you think." She says to him while she hovers closer to his face.

The strange thing is. Her mouth didn't move when she said that." Wait how are you talking without moving your mouth? And you knew exactly what I was thinking. How can you do that?" He says with a surprised look on his face.

"If I use my original language you won't be able to understand me. That's why we Selests speak through thoughts." She tells him with a tilt of her head with her glowing white hair following slowly. Her wings were so bright. Wait we Selests? There's more of you? He thought knowing she would hear him. She gives him a shimmering white smile. She doesn't answer, she didn't have to. Her fellow fairy like creatures gather around the amazed boy.

Looking around he sees so many different Selests hover around. Making the area glow with light. All of them giving him assuring looks letting him know he can trust them. So what are you all doing here? Any chance you can help me with this spell? He tells thinks while holding up the pouch with the magical powder in it.

"Yes that's why we came here in the first place. We will light the path to where you need to be and help you with the spell. We must hurry now I can sense that the Dea are approaching." And with that, he nodded his head in agreement and followed the path they had made for him.

The farther he went. The more darker it seemed to get. So dark, he couldn't see three feet in front of him if it weren't for the Selests light guiding in through the dreary forest. Once in a while he would snag his worn cloak on a branch. He kept on hand rested on his blade, it comforted him.

After what seemed like hours he looked forward and there was a light. But it wasn't the Selests light for him to see the path. It was something else the closer he went the bigger it got. He walked faster so he didn't lose any time. He broken into a run, catching his foot under a root he lands right on his stomach. Coughing the dirt out of his mouth he stood up, and brushed the soil off his clothes.

Looking up he realised he was right at the foot of the Silme Alda . The very root he had fallen on. "It's so beautiful." He whispers in awe. He studied the way light traveled through it as if it had it's own blood vanes of pure light."Ridian! We don't have time to idle over the view. Hurry we have to cast the spell now!" The Selests yells to him.

"Sorry. What do I need to do to cast the spell?" He asks with rush in his voice. "Open the pouch and pour the dust all over the roots. Once done the Tree will send a beam into the sky creating a dome like figure. Which will surround the land protecting it from the darkness that had come upon us." Once told he nods and starts pouring the powder on every root he sees.

Once all the powder is on the roots he takes a step back."shouldn't it be do—" interrupted by a beam shooting into the sky. A strong force flings him back against a tree. Knocking the air out of him, he lays sprawled on the ground like a rag doll. Once he regains his ability to breath again, he gets up. Walking over to where he can make out the magical dome being made by the spell.  Dea try to get through, to Ridian's satisfaction the protection keeps them from doing just that. Flinging them the other direction.

"Good work Ridian. Now let's get you back to the village. I bet some people will be glad to see that you've done the land a great deed." She tells him with a comforting smile.

And with that they headed back towards the village. With a joyful look in his eyes. Knowing they had done something amazing for the good of not only the village, but the remaining lands that haven't been destroyed.

Quenya words used
Dea: shadow
Beleg: mighty
Alda: tree
Silme: starlight

Fluffeeeeeee;p