Regulus was terribly persistent, and he rushed after them, scrambling to get ahead of them, blocking off Sirius, who had grabbed Remus's hand in his own, and stopping him going into the Great Hall. "Please," Regulus said lowly, "It's really important."

"Yeah? Got some great quip about how gay I am or how wonderful you are and how much the bleedin' Dark Lord loves you or whatever?" Sirius asked. "I don't give a damn about anything you've got to say, you little bastard. Go back to your dorm and call your filthy house elf and tell him how wonderful you are. You can command him to listen even if he doesn't want to." Sirius made to go past Regulus again.

Regulus reached up and put his palms splayed against Sirius's chest to stop him.

Sirius's eyes went to Regulus's hands, then back up to his face.

Regulus flushed and dropped his hands from his brother's chest. "Sirius, I know something -- something important. Something you should know."

Remus looked around Sirius's shoulder, "What is it, Regulus?"

Sirius looked at Remus, "Whose side are you on?"

"He said it's important," Remus pointed out.

"Are we ever going to get into the feast?" Peter asked longingly.

James looked over all three of their shoulders, "Yeah, c'mon, what's with the hold up?"

Remus looked back, "It's important, Regulus says."

Sirius rolled his eyes, "Regulus is a self-righteous prick, he thinks everything he has to say is important. He thinks his toenail clippings are important. Plated in gold, aren't they, ickle little Reggiekins?" he asked in a demeaning tone.

Regulus's face turned red with anger. "Shut up."

Sirius smirked.

Regulus balled his fists. "You're mean. You're meaner than all the damn Slytherins combined. I should've just waited for Maryrose. I knew this was a stupid idea, I knew I shouldn't have bothered talking to you, you're nothing but a horrible bastard, it's no wonder mother disowned you. You're a gay werewolf buggering git." He pushed past, intending to go back to the door to wait for Maryrose, but Sirius caught his elbow and pulled him back.

"Take that back."

Regulus stared up at Sirius, his eyes cold. "No."

"TAKE IT BACK!"

Remus sighed, "Just let him go, Sirius."

Regulus and Sirius's eyes were boring into each other. Sirius's grip on Regulus's arm was so tight that he was leaving bruises, surely. Regulus wrenched away roughly, staring up at Sirius defiantly, his teeth grit. Sirius stared right back. Neither of them tore their eyes away from one another until Regulus had got some odd steps away and there was a great rush of students that flooded between them and by the time they'd passed by, Regulus was gone.

"Little blighter," muttered Sirius, and he turned to the Great Hall. "Should've hexed him when I had a chance when we were younger, before I went and grew a soul."

Remus had his hands on Sirius's shoulders, guiding him along to make sure he didn't go after Regulus again. "Yes, well, you didn't and now, having a soul and all, you can't. You've done enough bullying for one day, you musn't be going after little kids."

"He isn't a little kid - thirteen he is." Sirius said, "That's not little anymore." He paused. "Actually, he's fourteen, isn't he? His birthday's just passed. Christmas. I always forget it's the same day as Christmas."