― iii. "HYPOTHETICAL GREG"

╔══════════════╗

chapter three

"HYPOTHETICAL GREG"

╚══════════════╝

     Emilia had three best friends. Dinah Monarda, Melanie Turner, and Carmilla Valentine. The three had taken her under their wing when they ended up sitting together in Second Year Charms, and they adopted her the second that they noticed she was only hanging around with the Hufflepuff girls because it was the easiest option.

      And, since then, numerous things have happened. Dinah's gone from bright ginger to icy blonde. Melanie's Newt Scamander obsession have increased to the point that she's probably going to get him tattooed on her heart. Carmilla's learnt the art of swiftly stepping away after an insult has been thrown at her, to allow a path for Dinah and Dinah's fist.

      Okay. Everyone's learnt the last one. Dinah, despite being looking harmless with her baby face and shortness, was the most violent. And, since the others were either firm believers in words being the best weapons (Melanie and Carmilla) or would feel too guilty if they did anything (Emilia) it was often Dinah that served the punches and slaps and kicks and knees to the crotch.

      But, over the years, Emilia had come to the realisation that the bonds you choose to make are always better than the ones you're forced to have. And, yes, she knew this was a terrible thought and that she deserved her siblings' treatment because of it, but it was true. Friends were the people you choose to stick with. Sometimes you're lucky with family, and sometimes you're not. Emilia had a feeling she was unlucky in that sense.

     However. Emilia was very incredibly lucky in the friendship department. And, although her friends' letters somehow never reached her (odd?), they were all peas in a pod. She loved them to death. She'd take a curse for them, and if they managed to still get hit, she'd nurse them back to health, no matter how long it took. Her friends were her everything.

     So, Emilia felt her blood spark with excitement every time she remembered that, in just one day, she'd be able to see her friends every single day. She had her trunk packed for the past week, winter and summer and "in-between" clothes had been neatly placed, her books had been purchased, and her favourite records were already being carefully guarded by various jumpers and pyjamas. Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band was positioned between her 101 Dalmatians and Sound of Music pyjama tees. A comfy lemon-coloured jumper looked after The Man Who Sold The World.

     It was around lunchtime. Emilia had been cleaning up her plate when the doorbell rang. The rest of her family was out, so Emilia darted from the back kitchen to the front door, where the scrambled to unlock the door whilst also hoping that she wasn't going to get accidentally murdered.