Aviation Accidents Involving Communication Failure

CHAPTER 2

"I was always afaid of dying. Alway. It was my fear that made me learn everything about my airplane and my emergency equipment, and kept me flying respectful of my machine and always alert in the cockpit."

-General Chuck Yeager

Without the benefit of any specific data, we have wondered how many aircraft accidents or near-misses have been caused primarily by pilot misuse or nonuse of his or her radios. The problem comes down to the people in the left seat who, for whatever reason, don't make known their intentions and don't listen to instructions. Additionally, they don't pay any attention to what other pilots are saying and how that information might affect their own intentions. The results of a comprehensive study that focuses solely on accidents or incidents traceable directly to this cause might be surprising. In lieu of such a study at hand, however, what follows may greatly surprise you as it provides you with some clues as to the frequency or the seriousness of the problem.

The Most Common Causes

Accident reports vary year to year, but appear to establish that typically 70 to 80 percent of the general aviation accidents can be traced to human factors, while only about 8 percent are the result of mechanical or maintenance failures. ("Other' or "unknown" make up the rest.) The role that radio communication plays becomes strikingly apparent. Sometimes the role is major, and sometimes it's incidental, but it's there, nonetheless. And, typically associated with so many of the NTSB (National Transportation Safety Board) accident studies are corn ments such as these:

>"Air/ ground communications not attained."

>"Communications/information delayed." >"Air/ ground communications not used."

>"Improper interpretation of instructions."
>"Communications inattention."

>"Communications not understood."

>"Improper use of radio equipment."

>"Radio communications not maintained."

>"Communications inadequate." '7 "Failure to communicate on the Common Traffic Advrsory Frequency (CTAF)."

Although other factors may also have contributed to a given accident, the frequency with which some form of communicating failure is mentioned leaves at least one major impression: we need to sharpen up on our radio sending, receiving, and listening skills!

Admittedly, a mechanical failure that results in an accident is one thing; so are problems resulting from ground or aircraft avionics failures, electrical power outages, and the like. Mechanical breakdowns can, indeed, produce a few intense moments. For the most part, though, these are hardware items, things material, and while hardware items do fail, they are amazingly dependable as long as they receive at least routine maintenance. Statistics show that the collective role of mechanical items in the accident/cause relationship is usually secondary, and there's another element that needs consideration.

It's the human element that needs the attention, the training, the retraining, and, in tune with the subject at hand, a continuing emphasis on radio communication skills. As pilots, one human characteristic we all share is the ability to communicate. We may not be great communicators, but we at least are physically able to speak and to hear, and to convey and receive messages. If deficient in either Of these abilities, it's most unlikely that you or we would even possess a current FAA (Federal Aviation Administration) medical certificate.

Being capable of speech and hearing, however, does not mean that, as pilots, We use these capabilities skillfully or effectively. Should you tend to question that, lust listen carefully to some of the chatter that fills the air on a sunny Sunday-or any other good flying day. You'll hear all sorts of pilot-originated messages that reflect a dire need for subject organization, on-the-air brevity, Clarity 0f message, EIncl, in effect, plain and simple communications training. It is our hope that thlS book, in its own way, will contribute to that training.