"I can too," I added, "A long way back down the river. After we left Lórien."

Aragorn met my gaze for a moment, eyebrows drawn in concern.

"Where's Frodo?" Merry suddenly piped up as he put the firewood in his hand down. I looked around. Frodo was nowhere to be seen. And neither was Boromir; I knew Boromir was probably getting firewood too, but we had all seen Boromir at the council and on the Pass of Caradhras.  Aragorn noticed this. Boromir's shield was leaning against a tree; Boromir never went anywhere without taking his shield.

"Aragorn, I'm going to go and look for Frodo." I said.

"No, Astella." Aragorn said, looking at me directly. I felt slightly undermined.

"Why not?" I asked, crestfallen. Aragorn offered me a small smile, as if he remembered clearly all the moments where I used the exact same words to plea with Elrond when I was a small girl, even before he was born. His smile faded and his expression became grave once again. 

"I do not want you getting hurt." He said, a complete copy of Elrond's usual response from my childhood when I asked him if I could go out after dark or early in the morning, "None of us do." I felt like I was being pushed down for a moment when earlier they had told me I was strong. But this wasn't the issue of my pride; Frodo could genuinely be in danger, and that worried me. I had a nasty feeling in my stomach.

"But Frodo could be in danger! Or lost. And if Boromir is out there too..." I whispered, "I'm just worried about both of them. I have to go and help. And if there is no one who needs help then I'll just get firewood." Legolas looked at me from beside Aragorn.

"Please?" I asked one more time. Aragorn sighed.

"If we believe you are hurt, we will come and find you." Aragorn said, giving in to my begging. I smiled.

"Thank you. I will return soon, I promise."

"Be careful." Legolas chipped in as I started to walk toward the forest, "She's sensible, she'll be alright." I heard Legolas mutter to Aragorn as I moved further away.

"I don't doubt her ability one bit. But with what you've been saying about the shadow, I hope you're right." Aragorn replied softly.

I broke into a run, but after I had entered the woods completely, surrounded by trees, I slowed down to a walk. It was definitely pretty here with its strewn leaves and old statues and tall trees, but there was something dark hanging about it. I could feel it in my gut. No wonder Aragorn was a bit reluctant; it seemed like you could taste the darkness. I shuddered. Darkness wasn't supposed to have a taste. It made me more determined to find Frodo. I just wanted to know that he was alright. 

I carried on walking, the trees overhead seeming to thicken, making it darker. I felt an odd tingle go up my spine, prickling like little thorns do on your legs when you ride a horse through nettles. I could sense the dark power of the Ring nearby.  Frodo must have been quite close. I clambered over a large grey rock and was on both my hands and knees at the top looking over, when I spotted Frodo standing next to a giant, stone face. He was kicking up the leaves with his feet and looking around innocently. He must have just gone out for a walk and just walked a bit further into the woods than he intended. I was about to call out his name when I saw Boromir. I quickly flattened myself on top of the rock, hoping he hadn't spotted me. I did not wish to hurt Boromir's feelings

Pulling the cloak Lord Celeborn had given us over my body I knew they would not be able to see me. I hoped I looked like a pile of leaves, or perhaps a large rock.

"None of us should wander alone, you least of all." I heard Boromir say to the Hobbit. He was picking up wood for a fire. I sighed with relief; he was just out fetching firewood after all and not acting upon some evil impulse. I shouldn't have doubted him so. I pricked my ears up more as Boromir continued talking, "So much depends on you...Frodo?" Frodo was just standing there, looking at Boromir. To Boromir he must have looked expressionless, but I sensed some fear in him. Frodo looked away slightly. Boromir hesitated, but he walked forwards a bit.