Chapter 1

I'd Lie

Chapter 1

Bella's POV

        Work. Great! I would see Mr. Jerk again! I wonder why I have to endure him everyday. Maybe considering the fact that he's my office mate, and we were working in one floor, I really needed to. I grabbed my bag and got out of my truck and headed to the building. I worked in one of the publishing companies here in Seattle for almost two years after I graduated. At first life was normal and easy until he started working here. I don't know why I hated him to the max, but he just annoyed the hell out of me!

        I entered the elevator, and a soft velvet voice greeted me, "Good morning."

        I was taken aback by his sudden kindness to me. I was about to take the stairs but decided against it. "Good morning," I hissed.

        The elevator stopped on the third floor, and I hurriedly dragged myself to my table. I buried my face in my hands and noticed that someone was standing in front of my table. "What do you need, Edward?" I snapped. Bella, calm down. Don't let that bastard ruin your day. 

        "Mr. Denali wants you to take care of this work. He needs it by Friday." I got the folder from him, but he stood still.

        "What else?" I looked up at him, and my breathing hitched. His bronze hair was messy as ever, deep emerald eyes that could melt you anytime, and in a formal looking clothes. He chuckled and left me still staring at his godly beauty. God! Bella, stop it. I groaned, embarrassed by my actions in front of him.

        I started doing my works, and at the corner of my eye, I saw him looking at me. When I caught him, he immediately averted his gaze to his works. Why did my table have to face his? Ugh! I just wish he worked on other floors, probably I would not be in a bad mood everyday. I was staring into space when Alice, my office mate, called my attention.

        "Uhm, yes?"

        "It's lunch time already. Let's go?" she asked, and before I could even reply, she grabbed my hand. Thankfully I have money in my pocket.

        I heard a low chuckle coming from Edward, and I knew that my face was flushed. I ordered burger and so did Alice. I ate silently, except from Alice who kept on telling me about her boyfriend, Jasper. Actually, I like her. She's very sweet yet loud and perky. She also knew my secrets and how much I hated Edward. I returned to my desk afterward and found Edward's table empty.

        Bella, why do you even care? That was my time to inhale fresh air. I was finished with my works already, so I flipped my book open and began reading. I bit my finger nails while reading which was my habit for a long time. After finishing a few pages, my eyes began to droop, and there's no way I would sleep while at work. I headed out to the small lounge and set a coffee for myself, when I heard the door opened.

        "Oh, I didn't expect to have a company." Edward smirked at me.

        "What a small world," I scoffed.

        "How are you?" He took small steps towards me.

        "What exactly do you need, huh?" I snapped.

        "Nothing." He smirked again and left. My eyes were glued to the spot where he left. I poured the coffee into the mug, slightly dazed. Bella, cut the crap! 

        How in hell did I got lost in those smoldering eyes? Ugh! You do not like him, Bella. He's a complete asshole and a jerk. I went back to my table, holding the mug as tightly as possible. He glanced in my direction, wearing that crooked grin which made my heart thump loudly. What the hell was wrong with me?! I quickly turned my head away from him and felt blood rising up my cheeks. I tried to concentrate on some paperwork I'd been tasked to do, but somehow my mind managed to wander. I wonder why he was so cool and... friendly. Ugh! Bella, don't fall from those tricks. You hate him, okay?! 

        Hours later I was thankful to the heavens above that I could finally go home. I fixed my things, including myself and left my table when a familiar voice called me, "Bella?"

        What could this person possibly need from me again?! "Yes?" I tried to act normal.

        Light footsteps were made as he moved closer to me. "Mr. Denali wants us to work in this."

        I turned so that I was facing him. "When is the deadline?"

        "As soon as possible," he replied.

        "Where do we work this?" I asked. How in the hell did I end up working with this man?! Gah! Kill me now!

        "My place." His smile evolved into a smirk, and I clenched my teeth.

        "Fine, when?"

        "Tomorrow after work." He ran his hand through his hair.

        "Okay then," I said and walked away from him.

        "Goodbye, Isabella!" he yelled as I was about to grab the door handle.

        Ugh! The man just knew how to annoy me! "Whatever. Go to hell, and get lost!" I hollered back as loud as I could.

        I heard him burst into laughter, and I rolled my eyes and continued walking. I approached my truck and threw my bag on the front seat. I let out an exasperated sigh before driving. My mind flew back to the work I needed to do with Edward. Why did I just agree to it so easily?! His place? Tomorrow? Kill me now! Damn! I stopped when I reached my apartment and parked in the nearest lot. As soon as I entered my room, I flopped on my bed.

        What a perfect day to start the week!