04 · The Irony of a Trade Off

Start from the beginning

Although I wanted to crack a joke about how I knew the guy would bail out, it wasn't appropriate at the time. From the other line, Eric was hiding that he was nervous. Because Eric offered the job to Joshua, it would be his responsibility if Joshua didn't show up. There had to be a reason why Joshua was pulling this stunt.

"I wish I knew. If I hear from him, I'll let you know."

"Thanks, Olivia. I'll try asking Mikaela."

"Don't," I interjected a little too fast. When Eric asked why, I pressed my lips in a tight line. I had to answer somehow. "She's with Trevor right now, Eric. I don't think we should bother them."

There was a short moment of silence.

"Fine. Talk to you later. Get home safe."

Once we ended the call, I couldn't help but wonder where Joshua would be. He seemed okay during lunch. Actually "okay" would be a compliment. Joshua was quiet the entire time, but I guessed he wasn't comfortable. To be honest, I wasn't comfortable having him around either. He was the one who ridiculed me about my photography after all.

That was when I realized how stupid it was of me to tell Eric that I'd let him know if I heard from Joshua. 

We didn't even have each other's number to begin with.

As I walked down the street, I passed by the familiar stores and gas stations that I was positive I could walk home with my eyes closed. However, there was this particular part on my route that scared me a little every time. 

Between a grocery mart and restaurant was this long, eerie alley way where businesses could throw away trash. It never occurred to me why alleys always had to be so uninviting. I sort of wished that alleys had welcoming light fixtures and smelled like toasted marshmallows. 

Usually, I'd walk a little faster than usual whenever I passed by the freaky alley, but this time, something caught my attention. 

There were people actually occupying the alley. Thinking that it was nothing more than employees throwing away the trash, I did a double take when the group of three started to crowd around one person. 

Just walk away. 

I knew that I would be the next victim if I crossed the line.

Looking side to side, there wasn't anyone near me that I could call for help to. Biting my cheek, these situations always ended up like that. As I moved a few steps closer to the scene, the trio began to throw punches at the individual. 

My eyes widened in shock. 

The individual seemed to be fighting back, but it was three against one. Immediately, I grabbed my phone and camera and did something that would get me into so much trouble.

I screamed on the top of my lungs, "Hey, you three! What do you think you're doing? I'm calling the cops. I have pictures of you! You're going to jail!"

Once I harbored their attention, the individual was now lying on the floor while the shadowed three shifted their heads towards me.

One of them yelled, "Who the fuck do you think you are?"

"Shit. Did she say the cops?" A second voice said.

I waved my phone at them before I pretended to make a call, "Yeah! I'm on Ford St. and Third Ave., I have their faces and everything!"

The third one nearly choked on his laughter and ridiculed, "Is this a fucking joke?"

The second voice was still cautious and urged, "Forget it. He's not worth it. Let's go."