Chapter 2: New Messages

November 26th 2005 11:41am

I had parked at the opposite end of the mall and decided that it was a nice enough day to walk outside. Walking outside sure beat the alternative of going back into the mall... did I mention my feelings about the mall?

My journey through the rows of cars was uneventful. I just walked, sipping my drink, wondering about the woman with five kids. A light breeze blew from behind me, sending a chill down my spine and gave me an uneasy feeling I was being watched. I glanced around but didn't notice anything suspicious. There was one guy, just standing by a car and he appeared to be looking in my direction. He was wearing sunglasses and looked to be eating sunflower seeds. I shrugged it off and ignored the paranoid thoughts.

I eventually, found my car. A 2004 Chevy Impala, navy blue. The trapped air inside the car was thick, perhaps ten degrees warmer than the outside air. I started the engine and flipped on the A/C. While the lukewarm air blew from the vents, I finished my drink and tossed the empty cup to the floorboard of the passenger seat.

I couldn't help but think more about the brunette with five kids. Who was she? What was her name? Why had fate brought me to her? Among the many questions my mind juggled, I worried she would not use the money wisely. I had hopes, she would use it to feed her children, or buy them clothes. The fear that she would spend the $50 on lottery tickets, alcohol or cigarettes tormented me. I tried not to think in the negative. I put my faith in the good of humanity and trusted the woman with five kids would use the money in her family's best interest.

With more cars entering the lot than exiting, I was relieved, I was leaving. It was just past noon, I had nowhere special to be and no foreseen plans for the remainder of the day. With my good deed behind me, I set course for home. I lived only 5 miles from the mall. Traffic was heavy and it seemed as if every stop light saw me coming. It took me over half an hour to reach my driveway.

My house was small, but I didn't need much room. I lived alone. Sue and I had only been together for about three months at the time. Although we cared deeply for each other and we openly expressed our love for one another, we had no intentions of moving in together anytime soon.

I placed the Impala in park and sat in the driveway. The cool gusts from the air conditioner blew my thoughts in all directions. My mind returned once again to the woman from the mall. The behavior she had displayed when I handed her the money had me curious. Why was she acting so paranoid? For about 15 minutes, I continued to sit and think about the attractive young mother of five.

Finally, deciding it was time to move on, I turned the key and the engine stopped. I grabbed my mail from the mail box; sale ads, credit card applications, other miscellaneous junk mail and a few bills. On my way to the front door, I made a quick detour to a large green trash can which sat on the side of the house. I ditched the sale ads and other wasted envelopes, keeping only the bills. Once inside, I couldn't figure out why I had come home. There wasn't much to do except, play video games, surf the internet, or watch TV. Although I wanted to call Sue, I knew that I shouldn't because she was at work, waitressing. I took a nap.

November 26th 2005 2:32pm

I had only been asleep for about an hour when I was awoken by my cell phone. I rolled over to grab the phone from the nightstand. I answered, "Hello?" My voice was scratchy and I sounded like I had just woken up, which I had. It was my brother, Mark.

Mark is a go getter, always ready to party, he couldn't sit still. He was in the Army and had recently returned from Iraq from a 6 month stint. He was home for the holidays and would be returning to the third world country in February. He never seemed like the military type, but he said he likes the excitement. The rush of bullets fired, the blasts of explosions so close, they rattles your bones. He is a little crazy, but I wouldn't have it any other way. Growing up, I could always rely on Mark. No matter what I needed, he was there for me. He is and always will be the best brother I could have ever asked for.