E I G H T E E N

Comincia dall'inizio

"Let me see your hand sweetie." Derek soothed as he crouched down next to her. She had her back pressed up against the bathtub and her toes dug into the bathmat beneath her.

Derek softly unwrapped the towel from her hand. She visibly winced in pain. I grabbed the first aid kit from beneath the sink and handed it to Derek. Her hand was bloodied and startling to bruised it was also fairly swollen. It looked like it could have been broken.

"What did you do?" I asked softly.

"Well um,the first time I punched DeLuca in the face. And then I punched the wall."

"How many times did you punch the wall?" Derek asked her.

"Eight.."

He shook his head. He turned his focus back to her hand. You could see her grit her teeth and blink back tears. There were already a few streaks down her face, but they weren't there the last time I'd seen her.

"It's okay to cry." Derek comforted her, using the pad of his thumb to wipe away the small tear that had escaped.

She shook her head. "It's never okay.." she mumbled, her voice breaking.

"Jackson, go get Callie." I went and retrieved Callie, ignoring the questions being thrown at me by partygoers.

After a minute of examining Payton's hand, Callie confirmed what we were all afraid of.

"It's broken. Luckily, though, it's not bad. So, she should be able to have full function of it back in a couple short weeks. She does need cast though."

"So we're gonna have to take her to a hospital?" I asked.

"Were in a surgeons house. We have all the cast materials right here. It won't be the best cast ever, but it'll work. Oh, and bring me some pain meds. This shits gonna hurt." Callie said. She dug through all the medical supplies under the sink pulling out a few things. We left her to get to work on the cast.

Derek went to grab the pain meds and I returned to the party. Immediately I was bombarded with questions.

"What happened was a private matter with Payton." I announced. "For right now, don't ask any questions. And it still is her 20th birthday. So as soon as she gets out here, we're partying!"

Payton Arizona

Callie finished my cast and helped me up. I fixed myself a bit, taking off my blood stained sweater.

"Come on, lets go party." She said. I cracked a smile.  I felt great. I told myself it was cause I was finally twenty. Though I'm sure the pain meds weren't hurting anything.

I walked into the living room and everyone cheered.

"What are you gonna do now that your twenty?" Someone called out.

"I'm gonna get shitfaced drunk."

"Honey, that's twenty-one." Jackson laughed from beside me.

"Close enough." I told him.

We were standing in the kitchen. Well, rather he was standing in the kitchen. I was sitting on the counter eating cake. He stood between my knees, and he picked up my fork and took a bit of my cake.

"Hey! Butthole." I said with a mock frown. He just grinned at me.

"I don't think anyone has called me a butthole since,like, the 4th grade." He laughed.

"Well it's true." I smiled at him and took a swig of my beer.

"You better be careful. Your gonna have a major hangover tomorrow." He raised his eyebrow at me.

"Ah, well." I took another swig. "Why is it, that you're always the one who sees me cry? You know, since I've been here these past few months, I've cried more times than I have in the past 6 years. But seriously, why are you always the one around?" I half asked, half wondered.

"Maybe it's because I'm special."

You don't even know, Jackson Avery. You don't even know. Hell, I don't even know.