Chapter 1: Things Change

Start bij het begin

My gaze followed up when I saw a pair of eyes suddenly open and jump down. A pair of slices were heard when the candle broke in half. The lit candle landed on a blade before it was pulled up, only to be blown out by the eldest of my brothers. The lights were suddenly switched on and they revealed my rat father and turtle brothers. Sorry, if I didn't bother with that one small detail.

"Well done, Leonardo." Leo was the eldest of us and rather the most matured, aside from Splinter, in the family. He was the first to actually try to talk to me, trying to warm up to me when I was still 'new' to the world around me. Both Raph and Leo helped me out a lot, but not as much as Master Splinter. Leo actually did help me pick out my weapon. Though I tried plenty, none of them felt right. That was until I was introduced to the kusarigama. I came across the weapon by pure accident, but there was something about seeing your own reflection on a blade. That's probably why Raph and Leo had blades as well.

I sighed and got up, joining my brothers and father. "Teacher's pet," Raph grumbled. "Ninja dropout," Leo shot back, tossing the candle to Raph and the red-masked turtle caught it. Don and Mike gave a taunting 'ooh' to Raph before he crushed the candle with his hand and motioned himself to Leo to start another fight. I rolled my eyes at them, as they growled at one another.

"My sons," Master Splinter began, dividing the two with his walking stick. He sighed and restarted, "My children, if you are to become a true ninja, you must work harder." My turtle brothers and I gathered before our sensei on our knees. "Your path in life will not be an easy one. The upside world will not be a friendly place for you. You five are so different in ways the surface dwellers would never understand. To survive, you must master these skills I teach you. Ninjutsu powers of stealth and secrecy. You must become Kage; shadow warriors, and you must never be discovered by the outside world."

I jumped at the sound of a sudden slap of hands and looked to see Mikey with his palms closed. Splinter was in front of him at this point, giving a stare at his student. The turtle smiled nervously while I face-palmed, trying to hold in a laugh. All of the sudden, the ground began to shake around us and all of us were immediately up. "Huh? What is that noise?" Splinter asked to no one in particular. "Whoa, earthquake," Mikey offered. "In New York, possibly, but not likely." Donnie countered before jumping back at a piece that almost landed near his foot. I heard cracking and looked to see the wall crumble. A small robot gave a metallic growl while others followed in chomping jaws on anything that opposed them. "Hey guys, I think we found the answer to what's causing all this," I commented as more of the robots marched in.

All of us had our weapons pulled out at this point. "What are those thing?" Leo questioned. "New York City cockroaches?" Mikey joked. Raph huffed and said, "Whatever they are, they picked the wrong party ta crash." He kicked at one, making it land on its back. Don swung at another. Just as he was about to do the same to the next robot, it locked its jaws on his staff. He tried wiggling his staff out before raising it above his head and smashing the robot on the end. Mikey began shredding through the robots with his nunchucks. He grabbed at one robot before tossing it to his brother. "Hey Leo, think fast." With that Leo had slashed it out of his way.

He sliced through two others while being in the air. I manage to fend off a few with my kusarigama. The weight at the end of the chain crushed while the blade sliced. One got close to my tail and I slapped it away. Oh, I forgot to mention that I'm a leopard gecko. At least, according to what Don had seen in his books when he was younger. My gray-blue eyes eventually land on our rat father. Plenty of these small robots were surrounding him while he could only smash them with his walking stick. I hear Leo gasp and ordered, "We have to help Master Splinter."

While he rushed forward, the others followed, still fighting through the bots. I was too busy with them to notice that the little T-Rex bots were eating through the support structure. While Raph and I fought our way to get closer to Splinter, I heard cracking above us. The ceiling was breaking apart and it was about to drop on us! "Look out!" Leo and Don yelled while they pulled us out of the way. I look up and give a small smile, "Thanks, Donnie." He blushed, scratching the back of his neck. "Uh, yeah. No problem." I was caught back into reality when I heard an "Oh no." "Masta Splinta!" The five of us ran over and Leo was desperately pulling at pieces to no avail. "Master Splinter?" He called. "Master Splinter! No!"