she

One December morning, Mark entered the classroom. Because his friends were in different classes or schools, the boy entered with no one to accompany him. To the young boy's dismay, he had to wake up earlier than usual, thanks to Donghyuck's obnoxious alarm clock ringing throughout the dorm. It had been awhile since he went to school because of the endless performances he had to attend.

Tiredly, he entered his classroom expecting nobody to be there. But his thoughts were against him because a girl with long, black hair that was left untied, sat at the desk that was in the last row and next to the window. One of his classmates told him that they got a new classmate but no one had the guts to talk to her. Mark assumed that she was the girl everyone in his homeroom was talking about.

Wanting to be friendly, he stood by her desk and introduced himself before asking for her name. "Yo Yiyeon," she said without averting her gaze from the window. The wind was blowing through the trees, making their leaves fly off the branches. Her fellow schoolmates were talking to each other in groups that were obviously organized by popularity status.

Mark slowly nodded and sat at his desk that was in front of hers. The bell rang as he started to sort out his stuff. Their classmates slowly piled into the closed space, some were shrieking about seeing their friends again but when in reality they probably saw each other last weekend and some sat at their desks and then started to sleep. But when the chaos was happening, Yiyeon never looked away from the window.

One of Mark's friends, Bonggyoo, peered at the girl behind him before turning to him. "That's the new student," Bonggyoo told him, looking at her appearance. Before Mark had the chance to reply, Yiyeon beat him to it. "I may be new to this place but I'm not deaf. Don't talk about me like I'm not in earshot." they were both startled by her remark, Bonggyoo especially. He was hard to scare because of his so called high popularity but with Yiyeon's rude comment, he scurried back to his desk that was on the other side of the class.

People murmured about the girl that was in the room, which annoyed her. She angrily tugged at her hair before sighing and staring out the window again. Mark couldn't help but feel sorry for her. After debating whether or not to talk to her again, he turned around and offered a friendly smile. "The people in this class are known for running their mouths so don't mind their rudeness."

Yiyeon looked at him, processing the information she learned. "Thanks for telling me," she muttered before looking down at the desk, making her hair cover Mark's view of her face. Though she couldn't see him, he nodded and turned to face the front where the teacher stood. Behind the new student's hair, she hid a small smile because for once, someone looked at her like she wasn't a freak.

She was like the winter breeze, cold at first but eventually, she made him feel somewhat warm.