Afterword

Dedicated to Forever-his, a very brave girl, and a beautiful writer.

Afterword

Written later, by me, Amelia, Blessing's daughter

I was often told as a young girl, that I was named after a good friend of my Mother's. And my sister, Elizabeth, was told the same. When I was fifteen, Mother gave me this journal. She told me, while she was ill with influenza, all about her life. She had written it all once she was freed.

            I have decided to finish off the story. Dear Mother died of influenza, with me clasping her right hand, and Elizabeth her left. Little Chima, who had no idea of what was going on, sat at the foot of the bad, happily sucking his thumb. I sang her a song, and her eyes slowly closed. Elizabeth wept on her chest, and I stroked her beautiful ebony hair, twirling it around my finger, like she had done when I was only five, and like her Mother had done to her.

            The funeral was mournful, but it was amazing who turned up. Mother's last words were, "Invite them. Chima, Nadia and Lizzie..."

            I was not sure what she meant. Invite them. But, it became clear when she died. I cannot tell you how long it took me to track down the three people, but I did it.

            When Chima arrived, he told me how he had still waited for her, but when she was free they had lost contact, and Mother had married someone else, who left when I was ten, Elizabeth was eight, and baby, Chima was newborn.

            When Lizzie arrived, she was married to a rich young man, not the one that had been pushed on her by her Father, but a charming young gentleman, called William. They seemed very happy.

            It was hardest to get Nadia to come. She had taken Mother's place when she was freed, and had managed to get leave to come to the funeral. I was delighted! She was getting on well, and serving Lizzie, which they both enjoyed.

            It was a like a reunion, Nadia and Chima chatted happily, and so did Lizzie, as she knew of Chima from Mother.

            Mother died happily, and she definitely had an amazing life!