"I should eat, Alpha. I threw up supper last night." Malak had fed me and I knew he had given me too much. I was fairly positive that was why I had been bent over the toilet heaving before bed. Too much food packed into too small of a space.

"As much as I want to ignore you and convince you that you want to have some fun with me, I know you are right. Your health comes first." He let me go and I pulled out a dress. I held it out towards Malak and he made a sound of disinterest.

"Too purple." He waved the first one off and I pulled out another dress as I stuffed the purple one back in the drawer. "Too dark." I put it back and pulled out another one.

Malak was suddenly beside me and my heart jumped in fright as he pulled the dress from my hand and tossed it onto the bed. "No. Put on this and this." He yanked a white long sleeved blouse from drawer as well as a brown skirt before he shoved them at me. I nodded, my head down as I took them from him.

"I'll be in the dining room." He left and I let out a deep breath, looking at the outfit he picked for me. I thought nothing of it as I pulled it on. I was just thankful he was gone and my mind stopped rattling with the buzzing pain.

I made sure everything was buttoned properly and everything was wrinkle free before I braided my hair back. I didn't doubt for a moment that Malak would cut my hair off. He was just as touched in the head as I was. Normal did not apply to him. I doubted it ever did. My stomach protested and rolled as I turned and headed out into the hallway.

"You look like a fucking nun." Nexus' voice was rumbling and I lowered my gaze to the floor as I stood in front of him. "Here." He held something out for me and I hesitantly reached out and took it. It was a jeweled hair pin. I looked at it in surprise and he stared down at me, his eyes hard.

"Its a mating decoration. I can clearly tell Malak hasn't gotten you one yet. You wear it in your hair to show you are mated." He took it from me and then made me turn around. I felt a bit uncomfortable with him at my back but I doubted he would try anything. "One would have thought he would have gotten you something to show you were taken with how fucking possessive he is but Malak isn't known for being smart." The insult was cutting as he fiddled with my hair, placing the pin into the black strands.

"There. Makes you look less like a virgin prude." Nexus brushed by me as he started down the hall. My throat tightened slightly with his gift.

"Thank you." I followed behind him and he faltered in his steps, as if he hadn't expected gratitude for what he had done. He came to a stop, his hands curling into fists. I stopped as well, staring warily at the large fists connected to equally large arms. He could do serious damage to Malak and he had in the past, one hit from him and I would be broken.

"Arlo speaks of you highly. I doubt I will ever see what he does in you. He is a kind man, always seeing the best in people. Even in Malak." His shoulders tightened and I rolled mine forward in response. "I have no love for my twin, Magdalene. I have none and now he is threatening my beloved little brother over a female who belongs body and soul to him. I dislike you because you put Arlo on the wrong side of Malak. I will never forgive that. So do not give me your thanks." He looked at me over his shoulder, dark eyes glinting like obsidian. I blinked at him before taking a tentative step forward.

"Malak is a great storm intent on tearing apart everything in its path." I took another step forward. "Arlo is a gentle breeze that calms one down." Another step that brought me within touching distance.

"But you are a stone. Hard and unyielding." I tilted my head the other way as I lowered my voice. "Stone is my favourite." His expression twitched, a barest hint of confusion for his mad queen's words. "It is my favourite because a single stone can bring down a king if it strikes hard enough, true enough." I tried to show him all I could with my gaze, all that my mouth wouldn't say. I wanted him to know that I believed, I wanted him to know that I truly believed, he could take down his king. Recognition filled his eyes and I blinked, letting my gaze fall to the floor once more.