Chapter I

Chapter I

"High school sucked. It was a universal truth, and whoever said these were supposed to be the best years of your life was probably drunk or delusional."

― Kami Garcia, Beautiful Darkness

***

That quote really suited its theme... High School.

I, for one, hated high school so much, that it can make my head explode by just thinking of it. But, as a senior and a graduatee, i don't really know what i'd do after it. After high school, i don't know where i'll end up. Maybe in the prominent publishing company my dad owns, maybe some sick mediocre agency, i don't really know. And for me, the worst thing i could ever experience is... Not knowing anything, or being ignorant. I don't know what am i afraid of.

I just don't wanna end high school, because i'll feel old. I'm eighteen years old, and i already feel like i'm aging. The next thing i know, i'd be white-haired and wrinkly. What if i die alone? Unloved. Old.

I'm not much of a popular kid, for me to want high school to never end. My best bud, Kyle Montgomery, he's the most popular guy and the smartest dude i know. Jock and a nerd,

he's perfect. He's everything, i'm not. How did i even become friends with this dude? He's even dating the hottest girls, always hits the top ranking.

I'm afraid to be old, to be lame, have a boring life. High school is everything but boring, a few only notice this. I'm so freaking scared that everything i love will end, that my youth, my freedom... Will end.

High school thought me one thing, it's the thing i'll always remember.

Playing it safe.

***

He sat up, panting. He was having a nightmare again. He glanced to the alarm clock, to see that it was four-thirty in the morning. 'It's so early, why did it have to be at four?'

He made his way to the kitchen, cooking eggs and bacon.

"You're up early, Garrett" his sister mocked, "Did the little boy had a dream again?". He chuckled, "Yeah, his scary sister ate him and barfed him out". She groaned at disgust. He chuckled some more. "I gotta go, tell mom i left early", he said. He went to school after that, it was a Friday.

He sat down on his chair, dunking his head on the desk.

'I'm still sleepy...'

The teacher stomped her heels, walking out the door. The loud sound of her heels clinking didn't even woke him up.

He dozed off.

***

He slept through the first three periods.

The bell woke him up.

He was up late last night, studying Physics and all.

As he got up from his desk, he placed his cold hands inside his pockets. He felt something inside it; smooth, has seams, pointy sides. Probably a letter. But who would sneak a letter inside his pocket? He got it outside his pocket. It was labeled; To Mr. Cliffe. He opened the envelope, getting the smooth-surfaced paper out.

'Good day!

Please be informed that your son, Flynnard Garrett Cliffe will be attending the Saturday Program. Which is, obviously, will be held every saturday until the end of the school year. This is a new program officiated by Carsborough High School, in collaboration with Wingbrooke Summer Boarding School. The program will take part in the said-boarding school. Only six students will be chosen in this program.