Chapter Nine

The Kentucky Derby was coming up, and it was coming up fast.  And Egypt was still the early favorite for the Derby.  And his final two preps coming in were finally figure out.  In three weeks the San Felipe Stakes was to run, and that would be Egypt's first official stop on his Derby trail.  Then, his big race with one hundred points, the Santa Anita Derby.  He was ready for the two races leading up, and he was about to be put to the test in the Derby.  And the Zayat's and Bob Baffert could not wait.  Egypt could do what his father did.  Win the Triple Crown and then Grand Slam. 

~•~

Soon, it was time for Egypt's first official prep.  The San Felipe Stakes.  The Zayat's Carina Mia and Creator colt, Importance, was running in the race, too, making his stakes debut.  He broke his maiden late, and was trying to get into the Derby.  He showed talent in his  maiden, so maybe he could in the San Felipe.  But if he didn't win, then he would be off the Derby trail.

The horses were in the paddock being tacked up, and Egypt stood calmly in his number four paddock stall.  Soon, after each horse was all tacked up, riders up was called and all the jockeys are given the leg up.  Rafael Bejarano, since Hopper's Quote was not in this race, was riding Importance.  Soon, the horses stepped foot on the track for the post parade.

1.  Haywire
2.  Importance
3.  Smokestack (Arrogate x Curalina)
4.  Egyptian Melody
5.  Connection (Connect x I'm A Chatterbox)
6.  Finest Storm (Midnight Storm x Finest City)

It was a small field with some new horses for Egypt to face.  And the Arrogate colt was a beast on the track.  Smokestack, a colt that resembled his father with a striking resemblance, was also undefeated in his two starts, a maiden and allowance, and he was making his stakes debut and was favored over Egypt.

As the horses walked towards the starting gate, you could tell that the Arrogate colt was ready.  He was looking the part for the race, and he was sitting steady at even money over Egypt's 1 to 9 odds. 

Soon the horses made it to the gates and the horses started loading in.  Everyone went in calmly, and soon, there was the quietness that always happened.  And then, it was broken by the gates slamming open, the trying of the starting bell, and the track announce starting to make his call.

"And they are off!  Egyptian Melody gets out of the gates very easily and he goes to the front, but his stablemate Importance is right alongside of him and gets in front.   Smokestack runs along in third as Finest Storm is fourth.  Connection runs along in fifth as Haywire is where he usually is in dead last as they run past the wire for the first time.  And Importance is taking them along at a slow pace.  He's just loping along out here on a long lead.  And Egyptian Melody is right off his flank as they move for the first turn. It is a gap of two back to the favorite, Smokestack.  Finest Storm is starting to pick it up a bit more and is only a half length behind Smokestack.  Connection is still tracking them from fifth as Haywire is in sixth and last.

"And as they move down the backstretch, Importance is getting away now by two and a half lengths to his stablemate Egyptian Melody.  And  Smokestack is closing in on Egyptian Melody and is only a half length behind him.  Finest Storm is now a neck behind Smokestack and Connection and Haywire are starting to pick it up a bit more as the field starts to bunch up as they move for the turn.  And Importance is starting to get away and  Smokestack takes over second and is after him now!  Egyptian Melody is starting to fade as Finest Storm, Connection and Haywire overtake him!

"And they're into the stretch!  And Importance holds on to a one length lead!  Smokestack is coming fast!  Connection, Haywire and Finest Storm are fighting for third!  Egyptian Melody is coming back!  And he is charging up the inside!  Now he's fighting for third with Connection and Finest Storm as Haywire dropped back!  And Egyptian Melody on the rail is neck and neck with Importance as Smokestack is third!  It is a battle of bobbing noses!  At the wire it is too close to call!  It looks like Egyptian Melody came back to win it by a short nose!  But the San Felipe will end in a photo finish between two stablemates."

Victor eased Egypt up as Rafael eased Importance up.   Smokestack was only a half length back in third.  If Egypt went to the Derby, he would definitely have to sit of the pace so he wouldn't face like today.  Even though he came back and fought back, he would have too many other horses to pass in the race to get a win.

Soon the track announcer came back on to say who was the official winner of the San Felipe.

"Ladies and gentleman, the winner of the photo finish has been determined.  And the winner of the San Felipe Stakes, getting more points on the road to the Derby is, by a nostril, Egyptian Melody."

And right after the Egypt was announced winner, the Zayat's went down to go to the winners circle with their colt.  Once there at the winners circle, everyone got situated for the picture.  The picture was quickly taken, and Victor dismounted and collected the racing tack to go and weigh out.

In four weeks time, Egypt would be running in the Santa Anita Derby and then he was of to Kentucky for the first Saturday in May.