Act I

Early morning on Christmas Eve The Kid was never so excited. Today was the day he had been looking forward to since October. He and his band The Revolution have been coasting on the coat tails of fame for a while and they have been getting paid very well. Kid took a small portion of his earnings and invested it into a beautiful 14 karat gold diamond ring for his girlfriend Jill Jones. The couple have been dating for the last year and a half and he was ready to take the big jump tonight in front of the huge Christmas tree in front of the Minneapolis courthouse. He was just as excited as the day he and his band finally got their big break the night they performed Purple Rain on First Avenue's stage. He got out of bed and showered quickly. Afterwards he got dressed in one of his best outfits complete with his purple trench coat. He looked himself over in the mirror and smiled at his appearance.

"Jill. I love you. Will you marry me?" He practiced over and over until he said it in a way he was comfortable with.

"Yes. That's the one." He said proudly as he blew himself a kiss.

The Kid reached into his nightstand drawer and pulled out a small black box containing the ring he had purchased just weeks ago. He shoved it in his coat pocket and headed out the house to a car that was waiting for him outside. The Kid instructed the driver to take him to Jill's apartment which was just uptown. The more he practiced for the big moment the more anxious he became.

"Hurry up will ya?" The Kid said over the seat to the driver.

The driver accelerated just a little to make The Kid relax a little bit. It wasn't much longer when the car had stopped and he was sitting right outside of the apartment complex. He got out the car and rushed up to the building. Pushing the button obnoxiously The Kid just couldn't wait to get inside and see his beautiful girlfriend. He had planned the whole day for them. Breakfast at her favorite diner, shopping at the mall for some last minute gifts, lunch at the local pizzeria, then to see a movie followed by dinner and then the big moment. The proposal.

"Must you always do that when you come over?" Jill hissed over the intercom.

"Let me in its cold!" The Kid retorted.

The buzzer sounded and he rushed inside and up to the third floor to her apartment door. He knocked furiously at her door while he waited. The Kid was just that. The Kid. He was always playing games with Jill when ever he came by. He would constantly knock on her door until she answered and he loved to get that rise out of her. For him it was a turn on to see her fair skin grow pink from frustration.

"Damnit Kid when will you ever grow up?" She barked at him as he stepped inside.

"Never. This is who I will always be." He giggled as he spun on his heels to look back at his girlfriend.

The Kid walked up to her and gave her a kiss on the cheek and smiled.

"You look nice today. What's the occasion?" He asked her.

"I thought you were taking me out today?" Jill snapped.

"I am. What's the matter with you today? You're not yourself. Did I do something wrong?" He asked as he took her hands softly in his.

Jill sighed and lowered her head.

"I'm sorry. It's just.....you know how I feel about this time of year since my parents......"

She stopped herself as her voice began to shake from the painful memories of no longer having her parents around for the holidays.

"Well let me help you take your mind off of that today. Besides I have a surprise for you that I think that you're gonna love." He said landing a single kiss on her lips.

The Kid always knew what to do when it came to Jill's feelings. He was very considerate but he was also very passionate. He was willing to have everything be perfect for tonight. Things were going so well that nothing could get in the way of his plans. At least...so he thought.