Ocean (Harry Styles AU)

Not only was today Monday, but it was my first day at an English University. It had always been my dream to fly over from the states and study here, and it was finally becoming a reality. Despite people always telling me my dreams would only stay dreams I still did it, I made it to the place they call England.

I was walking down the long hallway in the west block of Manchester University. For so long I’ve wanted to say that, for so long I wanted to do it. There were more people here than the entire population of my local town, that says it all. Everybody had someone they knew here so they weren’t as lonely as me, I had no one. I’d been here a few days and most of that time I spent sleeping due to jet lag, something I’d never get used to. My apartment was on the outskirts of campus - it was just the right size for 2 people -a roommate I was meant to be having hadn’t showed up yet, delayed flight from London the chancellor told me. So I was setting into the big wide world of education alone for the first few days. How great!

Only studying 3 subjects made it easier for me in so many ways, I could do more studying to try and pass my courses in the first shot. Law, Maths and English Language…not the easiest 3 to pick but I was sure if I put in the work I would pass without a doubt. If I kept to the ways that I was brought up then University would be an easy ride. Education before social life, that’s what my dad always used to tell me and that’s what I always used to do. I got through education back in America easily all thanks to my dad. I was never like the ‘typical’ teenage American girl, I didn’t go out and party, I didn’t have that perfect kiss at 14, I didn’t hang out with friends. I spent all my time outside of school up in my room studying for school.

Law. The very first class I would be sitting here, and I was looking forward to it! The class room was empty and bare yet there were so many people in it. The walls were a plain white and the floor was a dull grey with bits of chewing gum cemented in. The first real decision was where I was planning on sitting. If I sit at the front I’m most likely to be picked on by the teacher. If I sat at the back I would be out the way leaving me just listening and taking it all in. I didn’t know if I was ready to answer any full on questions just yet, I need to settle in first, the back of the class it is.

There was only one boy sat at the back, with hair that resembled straw. He looked like he had the same plan as me, so I decided to take a seat next to him. I might as well make one friend today. He just looked at me like I had 3 eyes for a moment until I cracked a smile, he then smiled back.

“I’m Peter Adams, and you are?” his words took me by surprise. I thought he was going to just ignore me for the entire lesson like I was some sort of stray cat.

“Brooklyn, Brooklyn Banks.”

“Its alliteration!, you have a pretty name”

“Why thank you, so do you” the words slipped out of my mouth before I could take them back, but he laughed at my little embarrassing words.

As the professor came into the room the class fell silent and turned to face the front. The Professor was in his mid 40’s with big round glasses, brown hair that was tinted with grey roots that would soon be coming through. The lesson was the same as I expected, just an introduction into what we will be covering in up until Christmas. Luckily I didn’t have my first assessed piece due until February and its only September, but if I get started soon I will have it done and aced by the due date. Unlike 70% of the people in my class that look like they will leave it until the week it’s due.

The bell rand telling us first period was over and that we have to start walking to our next lesson. Mine was Maths, my favourite subject. It was only in the corridor down the hall so there was no need for me to rush. Peter hadn’t said one word to me throughout the lesson, which I’m quite glad because I was still a little embarrassed for what happened earlier. I collected my things and headed to the door, as usual I was the last one out of the class room. I was walking down the hall when I heard someone call my name.

“Brooklyn wait up!” I turned round to see peter running down the hall to catch up with me.

“Oh hey peter, what lesson do you have now?”

“I have Sociology, its down by your maths class, is it okay if I walk with you?”

“How did you know what room I had maths in? Are you stalking me now?”

“No not at all, in Law you kept repeating the room you were in”

“Oh how embarrassing” I can’t believe I did that without noticing.

I put my head down and continued walking towards class; maths was going to be the highlight of my day. Peter was walking by my side; it looks like I did make a friend today. Even if he wasn’t that talkative, it was better than being on my own all the time.

“This is my stop; I will see you in law class tomorrow peter”

“Wait, have this. Give me a call sometime, maybe we could hang out?” he handed me a small slip of paper which had his number written down on, I could feel myself blushing.

“Yeah, I would like that” He turned around and walked to his class as I walked into mine.

My maths class was more full that my law class, nearly every seat was taken but 2 at the back. Looks like I will be sitting at the back again in this class but I didn’t mind. I took a seat and got all my geometry equipments out on the desk ready, I had the common sense to look up in the book what I would need for the first few lessons. I love to be prepared.

A young woman entered the class and took a seat at the front desk, was she the professor? She was so young with beautiful long blonde hair and tanned skin, everything I wanted to be. How could she be a math teacher at so young, she must have been around the age of 24. I was nervous for this class because maths was my best subject, I was always top of the class in most things but its maths that always really mattered to me.

“Please go to page 15 in the text book and work through it, when you’re done  you may leave for an early lunch” she Professor spoke showing off her set of perfect teeth.

10 Minutes into the work the door swung open, there in the doorway stood a boy dressed in all black. His jeans ripped at the knee met with brown boots that were covered in mud. His black curly hair was gelled back so it was off his face. I could tell from the back of the class that his eyes were an emerald green, the colour of my dad’s. There was something about him that gave me the shudders, I hadn’t even met him and I already knew to stay away from him. He looked like a dark mystery, a puzzle that was not to be solved. He scanned the class looking at every one of us, I couldn’t help but look at my book when his eyes landed on me, I could feel them linger there for longer than the others.

“Where should I sit?” he asked the professor in a rude tone.

I scanned the room and the only seat that was free was next to me. Dread filed my body; she wasn’t really going to let him sit by me was she? He scared me even just by looking at him, and I wouldn’t want someone like that up close to me. Please, anywhere but next to me.

“There is a seat at the back row, Next to Brooklyn”