The Reality

July 27, 2016

9 years later.

"Iamsosorryohmygod," I say panicking. I just spilled coffee all over a table. My boss is going to kill me, or worse, fire me. Working as a waiter and barista at small coffee shop is the only job I can seem to get currently.

"It's alright," the customer spoke sternly. She was obviously annoyed.

9 years ago, I was in an orphanage. I recently aged out of the system. Though, freedom is less amazing than I thought it would be. Working full time for practically nothing. How am I going to survive?

I've been so sheltered all my life, I know nothing about the real world. All I know is the real world is bad. The main lesson drilled into my head in the orphanage.

After I clean up I go back to the back to get more coffee. To serve, again.

Make coffee.

Serve coffee.

Repeat.

That's my routine everyday.

I wanted to go to college. But obviously, that's not going to happen. I'm getting ready to close up for the day when suddenly, a voice calls my name. It's my boss. I know that scream anywhere. I hesitantly walk to the back.

"Yes sir..."

"You're going to have a new coworker starting tomorrow. You're not enough anymore."

That's me. Not enough for anyone apparently.

"I understand."

"Just... Don't be as awkward as you usually are."

How blunt.

"Yes sir."

"I'm leaving. You lock up."

"Yes sir. Goodbye."

With that the boss leaves. I lock the doors to the shop and go to the back. I grab and donut from the fridge before I leave.

I'm not excited.

I'm not amused.

I work ALONE.