Half Loved ~ Chap 26: Turbulent Tides

Start from the beginning

“You okay?” Jace suddenly said, breaking the silence.

“No. I mean… wait, what?” I squeaked, surprised at my broken reverie.

“Damn it. I knew it was reckless of me to bring you along. I should just turn around and bring you back.” He said, leaving a crack in his usually composed and indifferent shell to reveal a little hint of uncertainty.

“No, don’t. Sorry, I’m okay, you just surprised me. I was thinking about the scarecrows.” I admitted awkwardly. “Keep driving. I could use an escape of my own.” I blurted, surprised at my word vomit. Well that was definitely uncalled for. “Besides, we’ll run out of gas if we turn now.” I added in an attempt to cover my earlier slip.

“Okay.” He replied, slightly relaxing his tensed posture. “I thought you were gonna call the others?” he asked as we turned at a corner.

“Oh yeah. I forgot…” I pulled my phone out and started punching down Liam’s number, then thought twice about it and decided to text him instead.

Hey Liam, I’m cutting classes for the day. Don’t worry, I’m with Jace. I’ll call you later okay?

“Not calling?” he asked, turning to enter a rustic looking neighborhood, complete with the colorful wooden houses and flower pots. I nodded in reply. “Oh… Listen,” He paused, trying to figure out his words. Wow, Jace McLunder, speechless. That’s another first.

“Yeah?” I asked, keeping my gaze forward.

“I’m sorry about earlier.” He mumbled. A mumbling Jace McLunder? Another first.

“What for?” I asked, uncomfortably shifting in my seat. Oh boy, here comes the inevitable conversation we’ve been avoiding since the trip! Keep your calm Carter, keep your calm. When all else fails, feign nonchalance! That always worked… right?

“For saying the things I said. You know, about you and me.”

“Oh, that.” I said evenly. Okay, is it me or is it starting to get a little too hot in here. Darn you knitted scarf! But is it really the scarf, or is it just this conversation? “It’s okay. I guess I don’t really mind. Out of curiosity though, can I ask why you said it?”

I saw his hands tighten around the steering wheel. “Well, I’ve been hearing rumors lately… rumors about you.” He said between gritted teeth. I could tell he’s getting pissed.

“Oh, that.” I repeated lamely.

“I didn’t want anyone thinking of you that way… especially Spencer.” he struggled to say.

I couldn’t help but put a consoling hand on his arm. “Well we showed him, right?” I dared to joke in an attempt to lighten the heavy mood. Luckily, I saw the ghost of a smile tug at the corners of his lips.

“We sure did.” He smiled, failing to hide it. And since this is Jace, his smile left as soon as it came. He was now back to straight face Jace. Hey, that rhymed. “Anyway, that’s why I told everyone I won the competition to have you. So everyone would stay away.”

“Oh…” I gasped inaudibly, not really sure how to handle the whole revelation. Jace cared about what people thought about me, and it appears that he wants to protect me from my pervy followers. Okay, so I’m gonna go ahead and assume that he cares about me.

“Please say something.” he said, looking visibly strained. This was starting to get very awkward for us obviously. “Are you mad at me?”

“For what?” I asked incredulously.

“For kissing you.”

Well, that shut me up. Of course I couldn’t get mad at him! What stupid fool would get mad at someone who would actually risk his whole reputation and possibly, his orientation just to help his lame-ass friend from a nasty, petty rumor? Yeah, not me. I didn’t mean to be silent, but I guess being forced to remember the kiss we had entails that effect. From a peripheral, I saw him look at me as the car slowed down. I willed myself not to look for I know what I’d see, but my betrayer eyes looked nonetheless. Darn you eyes! I’ll get back at you some time!