Dara's Not-So-Successful Plan

“You’re kidding, right?” Dara said, smiling to his father.

When she saw her father remained seated seriously on the chair, the smile she wore turned into a mocking laugh.

“Cut it out! Fine, it’s funny.” She raised her two hands in the air in surrender. But he remained silent, and that panics her.

“Are you really serious, appa?” her eyes widen while staring at his father’s still serious face. Oh god! This is serious! She doesn’t know whether she would laugh or she would cry.

“Dara, calm down and sit—“

“No, I will not sit down, Appa!” she shouted, then paced angrily around their living room. “Let me get this straight. You want me to get married to someone I haven’t met yet in my entire life?! That’s hilarious!” Had her father gone senile? She might as well call their doctor to check if his father’s mind is still on the right track.

“That’s not true, dear. You were playmates before you turned one year old—“

“Oh, that’s great. That makes him my first friend then,” she sarcastically commented.

He heaved a sigh and she creased her forehead in annoyance. Never did her father got loss for words—may it be a rape case, the weather or the latest cellphone model.

She stopped pacing around and asked, “What’s wrong, appa?” Concern was clearly etched on her face.

“Dara, you still haven’t seen him yet. Why not give it a chance?”

Dara smiled despite herself. She sighed; it’s good that her father is okay.

Slowly, she kneeled in front and held her father’s hand. It had been a long day and she was tired from working all day trying to solve case after case. She just doesn’t have that much energy to argue with her father so she dropped the game and went straight to the point.

“Appa, I don’t what came into you and just decided to come up with something like this. But,” and she looked at him straight in the eyes, “there’s no way I’m going to marry this guy. I don’t know him, I don’t feel something towards him, and he’s probably dating someone else and I also happen to like someone else…”

God, she really can’t believe this is happening. Her father had always been on the side of angels and justice. She can’t understand, how could this same man wanted such an injustice to his only child?

“It’s not fair, appa.” She said, trying to hide her shaking voice. “It’s not right to force people to do things they don’t want to do, especially if it will affect their lives so much. You were the one who taught me all of that,” she said heatedly.

“I’m sorry, Dara. This is your mother’s dying wish, to get you married to her best friend’s son. Jiyong’s mother and your mother, they were inseparable. This is their wish. I didn’t tell you this before because I wanted to spare you for as long as I can. But I have to do this, or else I might not have the face if I’ll ever see your mother again in heaven.” Her father closed his eyes and he looked really tired.

She felt panic rising in her chest. Last month, his father suffered from a heart attack and he slightly got weak since then. Maybe he’s feeling that his time is getting nearer that’s why he wanted to do her wife’s last wish.

“You okay, appa? Wait here, I’ll just make a call to Dr. Lee,” she said, reaching for the phone in the desk.

“I’m okay, dear.” And he pulled her hand gently. “I know it’s not right, but Dara…” She could not believe her eyes; her father was close to tears. “I can’t break my promise to your mom. I am deeply sorry.” And she did not dare say another word. “I’ve never asked you for anything before, have I, Dara?”