Chapter 3: Eva's P.O.V

Stop yawning! I scream in my head as I slump forward on my desk at school. It's eight in the morning and I can't seem to push away sleep even though I'm on my second cup of coffee. Because of the whole being 'late' thing, yesterday, I got up extra early this morning so I wouldn't be late no matter what obstacle came in my way. The some-what annoying part was that dad had to drive me since my ankle wasn't any better. In fact, it was a little swollen, so I had to get a cast put on it. Just for the record, my right foot felt really awkward in the cast. Anyhow, so my dad had to drop me off and we planned that he would pick me up at 3:50 pm. That wasn't half as bad as what I had to go through right after Collin left. I was on the phone with my editor and agent, and we argued till one in the morning on whether my latest manuscript was ready or not for the editorial house. Trust me, being an author was a hard job, but fighting with the people who work with you is even harder. Not to mention the fact that I got up early today... guess coffee can't solve everything.

    A knock on my door makes me straighten up on my chair, not having realised that I was almost half-asleep. It's Ron.

    "Good morning Eva," he says, with a cup of coffee in hand... two cups.

    "Hey," I wave, trying to pretend I don't notice the two cups he's holding... Now don't get me wrong here, I don't think I'm a very impressive person, but when someone walks into your classroom with TWO cups of coffee, it's kind of obvious that the second is probably for the second person in the room- me, in this case.

    "I saw you come in this morning," he shrugs, leaning against the doorway. "And I thought I'd bring you a little something- it helps when you have to come in this early- but it seems like you're all set," he chuckles, holding a cup in front of him, and pointing at the two cups on my table.

    "After drinking coffee one to many times, the effect is wearing off," I laugh awkwardly, feeling bad that he went through his way to get me a measly cup of coffee. What do I do? It would be rude to just not accept it...

    "But I'm still an addict, I guess you could say," I add in. "Why are you here this early anyway?" I ask him, shuffling a bunch of papers in one of the drawers (also trying to change the 'coffee' subject).

    "Training a few guys for basketball," he shrugs, brown eyes glinting.

    "Really? Is Collin there too?" I ask, sitting up a little straighter.

    "Yeah, he's there. Hard working kid, that one," he grins, "I'm a little worried about his attitude, though," he adds in, rubbing the back of his neck.

    "Really, seems like a nice kid," I intervene, frowning a little. He shakes his head at that, and looks up again. "Not around his friends he's not. They're a bad influence if you ask me, but anyway, did you get home alright?" He asks, just about ready to leave.

    "Yup, everything was fine," I say, smiling to prove it.

    "Great, I'll go now, you cant leave those boys alone," he rolls his eyes, turning to leave.

    "Wait!" I stand up, remembering something. He turns around and gives a pointed look.

"When are the Varsity team tryouts?" I ask, going back to the conversation we had at the dinner table.

"The Varsity team tryouts?" He asks, eye-brows raised in a where-did-that-come-from expression.

"I heard Collin wanted to tryout," I shrug, crossing my legs.

"Yeah, I think he mentioned something about that... The tryouts begin in February."

"Thanks, I was just curious," I add, slumping back in my chair.