- I

KARMA |

          teenagers should always get a good amount of sleep when they can, the adults would say. karma akabane had no respect for majority of the adults he came across. he didn't give two shits about what'd they say. sleep is for the weak, he thought. at this moment, he was regretting not valuing sleep.

           procrastinating his project was a mistake. he slept the whole afternoon, then did other things not school-related until after dinner. karma believed this would be a piece of cake, acknowledging his own talent, but he didn't know it'd be so complicated. his work needed so much research, and then a whole dump of analysis, and karma hated analysis.

          drinking more than one cup of coffee was another. he knew he had to stay up for this bullshit, taking in around three or more cups of coffee. the substance in his body didn't allow him to fall asleep for a period of time. it was his reason for the insomnia he was experiencing right now.

           karma finally finished this stupid project, and now it would be great if he could just close his eyes and fall into slumber. his body didn't follow his mind though. he tossed and turned in his bed, hoping his eyelids would feel heavy sooner or later.

           his throat was dry from dehydration, and despite the air-conditioner, perspiration beaded on his warm forehead. he shot up from his bed, his breathing erratic, and hands held onto his burning neck. there was a pain ringing in his head, and his hands moved up from his neck to his messy red hair. besides the insomnia, he must've had other things swarming his head. karma didn't know why was he feeling like this.

           it would be nice to get a glass of water. he cleared his mind. the image of a glass filled with clear and cold liquid was the only thing he could think of right now. karma shook the blanket off his legs, and set a numb foot onto the cold wooden floor.

          the numbness slowly faltered and pins and needles replaced it, and karma wobbles on the way to the stairs. he steps on the first stair going down, and he stumbles, almost falling. his hand places itself on the railing, as if it's a reflex, and the grip gets tighter on the next step.

          never has he felt like this, so weak, so shaky, so unbalanced. to his luck, he makes it safe downstairs, and the pins and needles are gone. go the fuck to sleep, karma reminded himself.

          darkness envelops his surroundings, and the boy feels his way through it to look for the light switch. his hand travels across the wall, feeling its flat surface. a switch was finally felt under karma's finger, and he presses it light up the room.

          the fuzzy feeling beneath his feet came from a carpet, and in front of him was a table with a flower vase on top. he was in the hallway. "now, time for water," karma sighed, remembering his dry throat.

          karma walks over to the living room, where you had to pass through to get over to the kitchen. the light from the hallway already helps him through the living room, so there was no need to turn on another light. he passes by a big brown couch, along with a matching coffee table, and he's in front of a brown door.

          the knob turns and the door moves out of the way, revealing a kitchen that's big enough to fit around three people. he comes inside the room and scans the area for a water dispenser.