Thirteen: The Park

It was a good idea. Sleeping on it," Twila informs Reed as we discuss the Message on an ornately designed cast iron bench squatting by a stream in one of Forma's parks. "I have an idea!" she continued.

"Really?" I say incredulously, leaning out from my position on the bench so that I can clearly see Twila around Reed.. It's not that I don't have confidence in Twila, that is why we are here to begin with- my confidence in her- it's just that it felt like we had explored every single opportunity last night. Everything. From murder to bribery to begging, we had discussed it.

"Yeah. I was thinking about what Reed was saying before... Before..." she glances at Reed and I, as if asking permission to say the words out loud.
"We abandoned him," I say guiltily. If Twila doesn't want to admit it, I will. I will own up to that mistake, and hope like heck I never make it again.

Twila bows her head in affirmation at my words. "He was saying that the whole feud started as a misunderstanding. That it was each kingdom blaming the other for stealing their princess, when, in reality, the princesses just escaped to Forma. Here! If the rumors about them being here are true, we can tell them about the predicament outside the valley, and maybe they will write a letter to each kingdom. It will mean we won't need the letter from Spifa... but I think it might be our best bet."

She is right.

"That sounds like it will work. They would love to hear from the princesses," Reed says, nodding.

"It's our best bet," I profess. "But, we have to know that it might not work. While the princesses are the source of the feud, since they disappeared, the tensions have built. Taking away the seed doesn't necessarily chop down the tree. While we should hope it works, we can't assume it will," I finish.

"Of course," Reed says, resigned to the truth of my words.

A minute passes. We are closer. But nothing is guaranteed.

"Let's go talk to some princesses!" Twila yells. I can still see the little girl in her. However far from it she might now be.