All the way from (North Carolina)? Damn!

I am SO sorry for not updating in so long! Life's been....how you say? A bitch. But whenever I have time, I am trying to write, so expect more soon!

I was sitting in the bay window of my parents house, curled up in my room, a book in my hand. It was difficult, reading books, after nearly seven years of not reading. It was even more difficult with all my adrenaline and dopamine rushing through my veins. I had learned those words from Chubs, who was helping me along with my studies while he was getting his GED. I was so proud of him, watching as he grew more and more excited to go off to college, to start learning again. I had to admit, I was happy to be learning again, too.
But I couldn't help checking my new phone every few minutes, checking to see if any texts had come in. But none. I looked out the window, but nothing; no one. So I tried to read again. Of course, two minutes later, I checked my phone. Then I set my phone down, and stared at the book again. I only got about two sentences in this time.
"Hey, Darlin'. You look comfy."
I jumped, dropping the book.
And there was Liam, all wind tousled hair and crooked warm smile. He was in his leather jacket, car keys in hand, leaning against my door.
I turned to the window and spotted his car in the driveway. Phones, always making us forget to look outside.
"Watcha readin' there?"
"Frankenstein. Had to improve my fourth grade education somehow."
"Ahh, Chubsie boy would be proud."
I raised my brows in question.
"Chubsie boy? That's a new one." He full on smiled, teeth and all. My face warmed.
"Come on, Ruby Tuesday. I just got your mom to agree to let me take you out for a drive." He jangled the keys, and I rolled my eyes. I shut the book and stood up.
"Where are we going?"
He gave me a conspirators smile, and pushed off the doorframe, turning down the hallway.
"Lee, seriously, where we going," I asked, following him. He laughed and walked down the stairs.
"Go say bye to your mom. We won't be back for a little while." My brows furrowed, but I went into the living room to find her anyway.
As I bent down to hug her I asked,"Do you know where he's taking me?" She just smiled and told me to have fun. I scowled.
So I followed Liam out to his car, a black Jeep Wrangler with the top off, and watched as he sat in the drivers seat and slipped on his shades. It was late May, the air just warm and dry enough that you could almost smell summer in the air.
"Lee, what are we doing?" I crossed my arms, not getting in the car until I had some semblance of information of where we were going.
He threw me that sunshine-smile. "A birthday surprise." Birthday? Oh. Right. Liam's birthday was May 1 and he hadn't been to Virginia since...April 20? Something like that. So I hesitantly got in the car, a small smile starting to play on my face.
*************************************
Two Allman Brothers songs, and one Beatles song later, Lee parked us in front of an ice cream shop. I glanced at him, not sure if he remembered, not sure if he even realized, what it meant to me. To us.
"Lee?" He gave me a smile, one that spoke of hardships, and love, and most of all, peace.
"Yeah, Ruby Tuesday?"
I smiled at that; a real smile. I raised my brow in question, and he nodded, understanding what I hadn't needed to say, to question. So I opened the door, walked around to Liam, and took his hand. He clutched onto me and smiled like a giddy child.
The afternoon was spent just as Liam had wanted it; easy talking, him learning more about me, my past, me learning more about him, his future, and both of us just breathing. Just being. And it was easy. It was the meeting we should have had, the date that should have been our first. And, in a way, it was our first. In our new lives, it was. And we both held each other, smiling, as we ate ice cream and laughed, and talked about our plans, our maybe's, and what-if's, and our futures. Together. We talked about us.