three

It's an odd feeling when someone you live with is suddenly gone. Almost as if you can sense that they're gone. Sometimes you forget they left so you subconsciously walk to their room to tell them some stupid thought you came up with. But they're not there.

   It's worse when it's someone you love. They promised to always be there and when you want to talk about random thoughts, there's no one to laugh at you. No one to laugh with you. No one to laugh at all.

   Sawyer is my other half. I depended on him for everything. He's my big brother, so why wouldn't I? I wanted to tell him about my stupid thought about this book I was reading, but he wasn't here. I was halfway down the hall when I remembered this to I turned around and walked back into my room, closing the door behind me.

   Sawyer left just yesterday and I was already starting to miss him. It's weird, I know. He's my brother and I'm supposed to be happy he's gone. Maybe even attempt at turning his room into a gym or art studio. But our connection was different. He was there whenever I needed him or just wanted someone to laugh with.

   I picked up my phone and tapped on his contact name Soy Milk–don't ask. I put the phone to my ear and it started to ring.

   Sawyer picked up on the third ring. "Who died?" he asked.

   "No one," I replied, confused.

   "Then why are you calling?" His voice had returned to normal, only hinting at slight concern.

   "I just walked to your room and forgot that you weren't there."

   "You forgot already?" He laughed. "What were you going to tell me this time?"

   "I was reading 'City of Bones' again and I needed you to be Simon so that I could yell at you," I told him.

   "Go ahead."

   "I'm not sure," I said meekly.

   "Why are you yelling at him? Because he drank the faerie stuff?"

   "Yes." He urged me to yell and get it over with, so I did. "You're an idiot. Isabelle told you not to and–"

   "So you're Clary this time?"

   "You do this every time," I told him. "You cut me off in the middle of my rant and the you act as if I can just continue. I can't do that Sawyer! It's practically impossible!" I sighed. "So what's going on? How's college?"

   "It's fine. Orientation was this morning and I think I'm going to need to keep my campus map with me for a while."

   "Have you gotten your picture yet?"

   "That's where I'm headed now."

   "Look at the camera," I told him. "Smile pretty. You wouldn't want to mess up like Rory did."

   "It's amazing how well I can keep up and how many references I understand," he told me.

   "Yeah. Speaking of Gilmore Girls, did you and the boys howl last night?"

   "No," he said. "There's a midnight scream tonight though."

   "Anything else worth interest?"

   "My roommate mentioned an off campus frat party. It's late tonight."

   "Are you going?" I urged.

   "Parties aren't really my scene," he said. "You know this."

   "You need to put yourself out there! How else are you going to meet people?"

   "Classes start on Monday. I'll meet people there."

   "Don't fall in love with Dr. Geller for a better grade. There's probably already someone who beat you to it."

   "I highly doubt Ross from Friends will be teaching  any of my classes. Plus, dinosaurs aren't really my thing."

   "Good," I said. "So. Party?"

   I heard someone talking in the background. Probably one of the freshman campus guides. "I have to go," Sawyer said. "I love you, Phoenix."

   "I love you too." I hung up and tossed my phone to the end of my bed. Clary, Jace, Simon, Izzy and Alec will have to do for now. They would be all I had for a while.

   I spent the next hour reading and tossed the book to the foot of my bed, frustrated. "Clary and Jace need to stop doing this to themselves," I muttered to myself.

   "Phoenix!" I heard my mother call.

   "Yeah?" I called back, standing up.

   "Would you come here for a sec?"

   "Coming!" I walked out of my room and found my mom in the kitchen. "What do you need?"

   "I need you to set the table. For three."

   "Why three?" I asked, walking towards the counter. My mother didn't reply. I pulled down three plates and three cups, placing them on the table. "Forks, spoons, or both?"

   "Forks. It's chicken Cesar salad."

   I grabbed out forks and placed them on the right side of the plates. I grabbed the napkins and folded two for each setting into halves so they looked like triangles. "Milk?" My mother nodded in reply.

   I poured the milk and got out the ranch and Parmesan cheese. I placed them in the center of the table and turned back to my mother. "Who do we have as company?" I asked.

   She turned around looking past me. Slowly, I turned to see what–or, rather, who–she was looking at. His fair hair was cut short. Shorter than I had here seen it. He wore a black leather jacket over a grey t-shirt and his jeans were faded. On his feet were leather boots. They looked the same as they had three years ago, only cleaner.

   My father.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

So, daddy's back! Surprise! Hope you enjoyed. Happy December! Vote and comment!
12.1.16