“Are you sure you are up to it honey? Maybe you should wait until Nicholas comes back so that he can get in the shower with you and hold you.” It sounded reasonable enough so Maya agreed.

“OK. I will just wash my face and mouth for now.”

“OK. That is understandable. I am Laura by the way Nicholas's mother. I did not get to introduce myself down there.” Maya smiled at her. She was nice, nothing like the accusing mother-in-law she feared she might be.

“Ya! talk about weird circumstances. I am Maya. It is really nice to meet you. I am sorry you had to travel all the way here for the weekend, but as you see I was in no condition to travel.” Maya started washing her teeth; the taste of her toothpaste was a relief to her tortured taste buds. It helped her stomach settle a little more.

“Ya well, that is the understatement of the year. You, poor thing, should not have even considered travelling in this condition, let alone do it. I swear my son sometimes doesn't think at all. Because I am sure it was his idea for you to come home to us.”

“No I wanted to meet you. He did not pressure me to do it.”

“We could have met you here. You did not have to stress yourself with an airplane trip. Did my son tell you that we were too old to travel from place to place? Sometimes he refers to us like we are ancient.”

“No no. He always talks very lovingly about you. You have raised a fine son Mrs. Larkson. I hope I will do a good job raising this little one too. As for the trip, if we had managed to come I would have met the twins, as an added bonus. Nicholas adores them and has told me the most hilarious stories about them. He is very sorry he can't come more often to see you all. He misses you terribly.”

“We miss him too. And please call me Laura. For me the hardest thing was thinking of him all alone in this town. I am so glad he met you and now he has not only one, but two people close to him.” Maya smiled at her, this was going way too good. But, again such a good guy had to have nice parents.

“That is very kind of you to say. I am the lucky one. He has filled the void in my life in so many ways I could not have thought it possible before.” Maya said honestly.

“How did you meet my son, he hasn't given me the details?” By now Maya was on the bed lying and Laura was sitting next to her.

“Well, he hired me to be his assistant during the first days he was in Europe. His previous assistant had left unexpectedly and he needed someone to handle the company while he was away. We spoke everyday for a long time until he came back home. That was when we actually met face to face for the first time. After that we hit it off pretty quickly and here we are. I know this is a little bit fast, I mean it is lightening speed compared to a usual relationship but we both feel this is the right thing for us.”

“Then I am glad. All I ever wanted was for my son to be happy. I can see that you love him and I believe anyone can see that he obviously loves you. That is what is important. And this baby is just going to bring you closer, so prepare yourself for feelings much more intense in your near future.”

“Nah, I think I am already experiencing them. This baby is going to be so loved I fear we are going to spoil her rotten.”

“You know what the solution to that is, right?”

“No, what is it? Your experience can be so helpful to us.”

“Make a second baby as soon as possible.” Maya looked at her like she was crazy.

“You are joking right? I mean I still haven't delivered this baby and you are already proposing that I have another one?”

“Ha ha ha! Don't panic my sweet. I am just saying that the only way for a child to learn that he or she should share everything and not to be spoiled, is to have a sibling to share everything. So unless you two are having twins, the only solution is to have another baby as soon as possible.”