Days full of lies

I ran in large steps, without stopping, knowing how little's missing. In front of me I can see the finish line. It's getting closer and closer, and the roars of people's cheering and shouting are getting louder. The noise is deafening, but I can feel my heart leaping from the adrenaline and excitement. I can't help but to smile.

I try to pick up pace, while throwing a glance over my shoulder. My opponents haven't caught up yet. The athlete coaches are standing next to the race track, they raise their eyebrows at me and clap in awe.

One big step, and I break through the finish tape. The screaming peaks. I run at a slower pace with my hands in the air, I'm smiling so hard they could count my teeth, but it doesn't matter. I want to scream with them too, but my mouth is too dry.

-

After an hour full of awards and congratulations, I sit with a tired smile waiting for a live TV interview. 

"This evening is really hot." The interviewer casually exclaims off-topic, probably in an attempt to calm my excitement. People are rushing back and forth trying to get everything under control for the live coverage.

"Probably." I give a slight smile while looking away at sea of lights and cameras that look back at me.

The interviewer clears his throat, "After two minutes we will start the broadcast. First, we will the the clip where you cross the finish, then we'll follow with some questions."

"Okay. What will the questions be?" I make an awkward cough.

"Various but simple questions-- How you felt during the race, what encourages you to run, et cetera. So just relax." The corner of his lip tugs into a half smile, then he looks away. 

"River, could you come here for a second?" He's focused on a man nearby who's holding a camera.

"Coming." The guy says in a whispery voice, while rising from his soft chair.

I stay seated at the center, with the medal hanging from my neck. I hold it up, rotating it as it reflects the lights. I can't believe that I'm holding this. I can't believe this is real. My mind overflows with doubt and excitement, I almost forget that cameras are lurking at every angle. I straighten my posture. Just relax.

Unable to endure waiting any longer I begin to focus on the ticking clock on the wall. Is time running faster than me?

~~~~~~~ (his childhood)

Before the alarm goes off again, I quickly roll over and turn it off. I jump out of bed, and run up to the door to make sure my parents didn't wake up yet. They are still sleeping.Thank God. Mom would really punish me, if she found out the truth. The fact that I'm faking it. 

Quickly, I pull the wet sheet from the bed and get a new one out of the closet. When I finish renewing my bed, I put on clean clothes then leap into the bed with a beating heart and pretend to sleep.

"Get up, John. Rise and shine!" Dad says after opening the door. I sit up and squint as if I had just woken up. I'm such a good actor. 

"Good..." I fake yawn, "Good morning, Dad." I rub my eyes then stretch. 

"Hey, buddy." Dad smiles. "How did you sleep?"

"Good, I slept really good." I smile, and move to the side so that he could see the dry bed sheets.

"Ya'know, five nights in a row is a huge accomplishment, right?" His eyes seem to glaze over with happiness, as he gives me a proud look.

"Yep." I nod. 

"Good job! Keep it going!" He looks at the dry sheets one last time, like he can't believe it's real, then he walks out.

"Yes, sir!" I say excitedly, but then sigh when he leaves. I slowly get out of bed and head towards the bathroom. Turning on the shower, I look into the mirror at my disappointing reflection.

Good going, John! This is the fifth morning in the row, and you've made it so far... lying. And now there are wet sheets in your sports bag, hidden in the closet. 

What to do? When it seems like there's nothing you can do?