Entry #31

October 8, 2312

Entry #31

On My Own

Yeah, hey. At this point... I'm just recording to remind myself that I'm still alive. I... I feel numb. All the time. And there's no one else to turn to but myself.

So, I've, uh, got some news. And I'm guessing I have a lot of catching up to do because it's been, like, over two years since the last recording. Didn't I warn you? The situation got way out of control. And now, I'm facing the consequences.

So yeah, here's the good n— ahhh, ha, ha, no way! That's, like, almost funny. I was thisclose to actually saying good news out loud. Oh, man...

No... there is no good news anymore. There's just bad news and way worse. So, here's the bad news: I will never see Charmer again. I know, sounds like a dream come true, right? Yeah... no. No, there's another side to the coin...

See, It's not just that I'm not seeing Charmer ever again. Cuz I'm not seeing anyone ever again! I'm just completely screwed. I had to leave my old cell, and they threw me in a new one.

It's called solitary confinement, the most hostile and intense type of punishment that is actually legal on Earth. It's the last place you'd wanna be. A step worse than being executed right away. Anybody in solitary confinement is prone to frequent... and violent interrogations. Torture is totally acceptable. Not because they need to, but just because they can. The restrictions that guards have around me are practically zero. They want information, and as long as they get some, they can do whatever the hell they want with me.

I'm only alive here cuz I know stuff and since I can beat the shit out of people. If the A.I. didn't think it could learn something from me, it would've ordered my death on the day I killed that jail guard two years ago. And my guess is that the A.I. figured out that I'm a ticking time bomb, since my power level is way higher than normal. It probably figured out that I could've actually escaped prison back then if I wanted to. But I didn't, and now I'm only alive because it wants to improve the prison's defenses by learning from me.

So yeah, that's the bad news. Now... here's the worse news.

Warden is about to get exactly what it's looking for.

So I've got about a week to get ready. In 7 days, it's all over. See, I've only been dealing with the expendable guards. But in 7 days, I'm talkin' to Ghostboy. Yeah, so from what I've heard from the last guard who, like, "interrogated" me, they finally got the idea that I ain't crackin'. So their plan is to bring Ghostboy into the mix. They say they'll make the first exception in history for a superhuman and let Ghostboy run free... if he get's me to talk. And he can't leave my cell until the job's done. Oh, but the thing they left out is that if Ghostboy doesn't do the job, he's pretty much done for. I'd say that's a given.

This is horrible news. Ghostboy is probably just as good as Charmer when it comes to forcing information out of people. Only difference is Charmer uses his persuasion powers while Ghostboy's methods are more... lethal. Top it off with the fact that he hates me... I mean, especially after what happened two years ago... and if I try to fight back the entire prison will be on my ass, I'm a dead man. And all because I have no control.

It's times like this when I, uh, wonder how things would've been different if I never got myself arrested in the first place. Man... so much wouldn't have happened. I mean, I'd probably be graduating this year. But I might've graduated a year earlier since I was supposed to skip a grade in my 7th year. That's the year after the one I was in when I got arrested. I'd, uh, still be that shy kid in class no one talks to. Other than Gavin, of course. Which always confused me since he was so, like, popular. But I guess that's just the way he was. He didn't care about how people saw him. What else... oh yeah, I probably would've kept playing hoverball with Gavin and his friends. I, uh, wasn't very good at the game. Oh man, that brings back memories. I, uh, kept scoring on my own team. But Gavin... he was really amazing. And when he got serious about playing the game for real, he actually went on to play hoverball for our school. And all the coaches loved him. Gavin... he'd still be playing if... uh, if he was still around.

If I didn't get arrested... no. If I didn't have a reason to get arrested... Gavin would still be... alive...

And if we go back even earlier, my parents, even they might've survived but that's... that's another story. I don't know that I could've stopped their deaths...

And before all that, if Charmer never got arrested... if he didn't save that little kid, none of this would've happened.

But, uh, I did not graduate last year. I haven't even seen a game of hoverball since I was, like, 11. And Gavin is dead. I... killed him. That prison guard is dead. And I killed him, too. My parents... they died when I was young. And I'm next in line.

Well, sometimes I remember the way things used to be. But then I remember. I remember that time waits for no one.

Hey... you hear that sound? It's coming from... outside. I, uh, haven't heard anything like this in, like, years. I mean, I've heard it, but I never heard it, y'know? It's just... I don't know... uh, the quiet tapping of rain on the roof... it reminds me of the way things used to be. It's drizzling outside. Drops of rain are pulled from white clouds that've turned gray. And the winds... man... they always rage on and on. Rain can't run away from the wind that takes it. It's an endless loop. But now... the storm is just out of control. It's like... like this blood rain is just shooting out from these massive black clouds. It's like the breeze is actually like some kind of hurricane. And thunder follows lightning that comes out of the navy sky.