The significance of my name.

Names can have a great significance. Tell us the story of your name. Where does it come from? What does it mean to you? What does it mean for the life you propose to live?

My name? My name is Amanda. It means "the most loved". I tried finding out why my parents chose that name for me but they don't know why. My mom once said she heard it in the song "Mambo number 5" but when I went over the lyrics my name wasn't there. Growing up I never liked my name. I always thought it wasn't "cool" enough and that people didn't like it. It seemed that every villain in movies and tv shows was named Amanda. I wanted a more unique name not Amanda , which so many people had. I thought I needed a new name to be unique. I was completely wrong. In first grade my English teacher decided to give me a nickname. My nickname from then on forward was Mandy. Having a nickname made me feel special, unique even. Since that day everyone calls me Mandy. It has been so long since someone has called me Amanda that when someone does call me that I don't respond. I started disliking Amanda even more when I moved to South Dakota. Being accustomed to the Spanish pronunciation I didn't like the English pronunciation. Yet I liked the English pronunciation of Mandy better, so I introduced myself to everyone as Mandy and not Amanda. I started liking my name a couple years ago. I was listening to the Pandora radio when a song came up that kept saying my name. I never knew of a song that said my name, this was my first time hearing one. I was surprised to say the least, I didn't think the name Amanda was special or unique enough to have a song. The song was Amanda by Boston. At that moment I realized my name was "cool" and that it didn't matter what people thought of it because if I liked my name that was  all that mattered. As years passed I became more and more appreciative of my name. I realized that my name is pronounced similarly in almost every language. I also noticed that since Amanda is a popular name it is easier for other people to remember. These to factors will help me in my future career when I travel and meet important new people. Now a days more people to call me Amanda but I still mostly go by Mandy. Realizing the positive points about my name made me fall in love with it.