Parchments

Summary: This parchments can speak the truth better than we can.

Disclaimer: Everything Harry Potter is J. K. Rowling's.

Pushing you away. It feels like the right thing to do.

She just stared at the piece of parchment in her hands. Something was poking and crushing her heart, and she tried to look impassive. Say yes, you idiot! A small voice was trying to reason with her.

But no. She can’t. She can’t afford to take the fall. She can’t let herself get hurt. She can’t let herself get away.

Placing the former note in the table, she tore a piece from another parchment in front of her, too dazed to realize that it was her Potions essay. She dipped her quill in the ink and hesitated.

Then she scrawled the following words:

No, I can’t. I’m kinda busy, there’s an upcoming Arithmancy exam this week.

Hermione

Another excuse, another lie. If things continued to be this way, she has to come up with better excuses just to avoid him.

Can he not see it? She’s falling for him. It was dangerous, considering all the reasons. She was nothing to him. She was just a friend, an acquaintance, and nothing more. Damn his good looks, damn the way he holds her hand, damn the way he makes her feel like this, and a lot of other damnations ran through her head.

She remembered how everything happened, how she started feeling this way. She felt her heart somewhat skipped a beat at the thoughts, but sink almost instantly to her stomach when her thoughts went back to reality.

However hard it is to accept that he will never reciprocate her feelings and that staying away is for her own good, everything must be smoothed out. Hermione Granger, the smartest witch of her age, cannot afford to be hurt by some boy, especially him.

She laid her quill down and read the words again. She took a deep breath and rolled the small piece of parchment. There was a flick of her wand, and the note was sent to its recipient.

She picked up her quill again and went back to her work. She tried to avoid looking at the piece of parchment slightly hidden under her Potions essay, which said:

Hermione,

Hogsmeade, with me, this weekend?

DM

Somewhere, across the Great Hall, Draco Malfoy frowned at the piece of parchment in his hand. His eyes scanned the Gryffindor table, and found what he was looking for. There she was, busy. Again.

There was nagging thought in his mind, but he scraped it off.

There was no way Granger’s avoiding him. No way.

Something suddenly tugged at his hear at the thought.

It was as clear as day that there was no way she was in love with him too.