"Why would you need me? It's as you said. I'm weak."

Henri drained the kettle into his cup. A small teaspoon swirled through his coffee, clinking the edges.

"I want you to be my Second once I become King. Yes, you're weak, but becoming King will not be easy. My father is a mere coward; resorting to poison to win his battle. I will use my mind and my strength to win."

I shook my head.

"I'm still weak. And are you sure? You're talking of killing your own father."

Henri rested his head on his hand.

"Of course I am sure. Father is doing a decent job as King, but he cares more for the title than his people. I'm sure you've noticed; even running this sad excuse of a town is hardly something to brag over." His finger dropped to point at me. "As for you being weak, simply stop. Starting today, you will eat as much as I, sleep as much as I, and take half my chores. Father will disapprove, but you must start defying him if this is to work."

I rolled my eyes. "Easy for you to say. If I show up for breakfast, Uncle will simply refuse to serve me. Perhaps he will just banish me to this cabin."

Henri's lips stretched into his permanent smile.

"Does that sound bad? Living out here you could learn to hunt and survive. Either way, know that I will back your decision."

I nodded. Living out here meant I could do as I pleased without being lectured. I could draw or eat to my heart's content. My eyes flickered towards the door, half expecting the Faerie to be standing there.

"Might I have a few days to think it over?" I asked.

Henri chuckled. "I'm not going to kill Father next week. Take as much time as you require." He stood, draining his cup.

Wrapping them in cloth, he packed the cups back into his sack. I stood as well, pushing the chair against the table. I gathered up my own things.

"Shall we, cousin? I suspect things will get quite interesting before noon."

"What have you done this time?" Uncle's voice bellowed the moment we walked through the front door.

I stopped, hesitating. "I'm not sure, Uncle—"

"Do not lie to me, boy! Hoffman's three pigs were slaughtered last night. I could smell the blood before we even reached town."

Henri stepped forward, dropping a hand on my shoulder.

"Felken tells the truth, Father. He never left the basement; I unlocked him and his shackles an hour ago."

I looked to Uncle, expecting his rage to boil over. Henri's words had been smooth, but lying was what Uncle hated more than anything. He looked us over; I looked down. My ability to lie was nowhere as good as Henri's.

Seemingly satisfied, Uncle rubbed his beard. His eyes lingered over me, looking for signs that I was lying.

"Both of you are to attend a meeting with Hoffman. We will be discussing our current wolf problem and how to deal with it." Uncle looked us both over. "Put on your jackets, will you? You might not get as cold as humans, but you sure as hell look like them. People are starting to talk."

Henri smiled, saluting his father. I wondered how he could be plotting to kill his father yet act so normal before him.

"Ja, Felken will be borrowing my old jackets, then. His is old and makes us look poor."

I looked at my cousin, questioning if his idea of having me fit in would be such a brilliant plan.

Uncle's eyebrows dropped into a frown as his eyes turned towards me, but he said nothing.