Word Count: 7,845

Start from the beginning

He brings her through many different habitats, and she laughs and gasps and smiles at every creature there, learning so much from what the man was telling her. He brings her over to an empty area, and he drops one drop of the liquid onto the ground, and mutters a spell that she didn't understand, and gasps when the blank area became a vast lake filled with food and places to rest and sleep and play. It was incredible and the greatest thing ever given to her. Given to her by a stranger who didn't even know her name. Before she has a chance to ask, she is lowered down into the pond, and she swims around in circles, laughing and cheering, before she comes back up to find the man had takes off his blue coat, and was unbuttoning the buttons on his white shirt. She never understood those. Why did anyone want to wear them? They seemed uncomfortable. She swims over to him, and rests her head on her arms, and looks up at him, asking her question.

"What's your name?" She asks, and he looks down, and smiles.

"Newt. Newt Scamander," He says and she laughs.

"What a funny name," She says and he smiles sweetly down at her. By then he had takes off his shirt and shoes, as well as little pieces of clothing on his feet that she had never seen before, probably because people were wearing shoes over them.

"Well, if my name is so funny, what's your name?" He asks and he begins to get in. She had never heard of anyone, including wizards, to be so open around merpeople.

"Althea," She says and he smiles.

"Where did your name come from?" He asks and she smiles.

"It was my mother's," She says. "Merpeople have many children but every time they do, it has to be with a new partner. That is why the others think that I was born to a human parent, because almost all of us are related somehow. You would find it difficult to find two merfolk who were not related." Newts eyes widen and he nods.

"There's so much I do not know about you," He says and he begins to swim out to the deeper part of the lake. Althea giggles and swims around him, circling him, and just playing around.

"I have a lot to teach you then," She says, after she resurfaces again. She swims away and makes her way up one of the rocks, pushing herself up, and wringing out her hair. She had her back to him, knowing that magic and non magic folk got uncomfortable. After drying her hair a bit more, she releases it, making sure it was covering everything, and she turns around to see Newt, right behind her. She smiles and sees the slight blush on his cheeks. Weather it was from swimming so much or her not having a top she did not know, but she ignored it and smiled at him anyways.

"Your hair, are all merpeople's hair like that?" He asks and she smiles.

"Yes if they are in warm or tropical water, they look more human, but can have a few differences, but they're relatively the same, while those usually in fresh and cold water look less human and are more aggressive. Though mine is quite short, but I find longer hair harder to manage, so I usually find a sharp rock and cut it myself. No one else does it though, not even the mermen," She says and he nods, remembering it for when he had to write it down.

The rest of the day, they played, and swam, and sat, and talked, mostly about her colony's customs, and her obsession with the human world, and he answered some of her questions like what's a fire and why does it burn?

When they were beginning to get tired, Althea swam Newt back over to the shore where he gathered his clothes, put on his shoes and those weird cloth things, what she now knew as socks, and started to walk away, but Althea wanted to say one last thing.

"Newt," She says and he turns around to face her. "Thank you for everything you've done for me. I probably wouldn't have survived long if you hadn't helped me."