Word Count: 7,845

Althea was the next in line for the throne in the greek oceans, in the kingdom of the merpeople, but she was cast out, saying to have been far too close with human customs for their liking. Yes, she knew the human language, and she liked to collect their things and find out their names, and how things worked above the ocean, but she didn't think she was too immersed into the culture. But she wasn't like her siblings. They were known as sirens and killed humans for fun with their beautiful singing voice. She also looked different. She didn't have their same olive skin and brown hair, and instead had a light brown skin and black hair. She also had bluish green eyes, unlike her sibling's yellow ones. The only thing that was similar to both of them,  was their fin like ears. Her father was suspected of having relations with a human, which is why she's so different, but no one could actually prove it. But, even without proof, she was kicked out of the colony by her younger brothers and sisters.

She swam up shore where humans tended to frequent more often, and a popular place for wizards as well, considering how many magical creatures were there. And here we see Althea on a rock, brushing her hair with her fingers, and singing a beautiful but sad tune. She knew that humans and magicfolk alike were uncomfortable with 'Nudity' as they liked to call it, and made sure that her hair covered the appropriate areas. She didn't really have anything there, which came in handy for when she needed to do something of the like.

She continues to sing until she hears a voice, one that was sweet and full of awe and admiration.

"A Mermaid?" It asked. She freezes for a second, and quickly dives into the ocean, making sure not to hurt herself on the sharp rocks. She hides behind the large rock she was just on, and peeks out to see the man is either a muggle, which was unlikely considering his reaction, or a wizard, which was more likely. "Please come out, I'm not going to hurt you." He reaches his hand out and wait patiently. She figured he would wait as long as it took for her to at least show her face again.

Not wanting to spend the entire night just to see if he would give up and leave, she swims from the back of the rock to the front, making sure to not make him uncomfortable and cover herself up. "Can you understand me?" He asks and she nods her head. His smile widens and he asks another question. "Can you speak?"

"Yes," She says in near perfect english, a slight accent to her voice, having barely spoken any language besides the merfolk's after her father died.

"How many languages do you speak?" He asks, genuinely wanting to know. She could tell from the look of awe on his face.

"Fourteen," She says and his eyes and smile widen. "Though I'm guessing you only understand one?"

"Yes, you would be correct," He says, but his smile drops and the elated look in his eyes in replaced with one of curiosity and concern. "Why aren't you with your colony?"

"I was in line to be their next queen, but I was kicked out, due to the fact they thought I was part human, and that I was so infatuated with the human world," She says and the man's eyes are full of sadness.

"I could give you a home if you would like? It wouldn't be the entire ocean, but you would have a place to live and the company of other creatures," He says and she smiles, her plump, red/brown lips forming into a smile of pure delight.

"Oh would you? I would like that more than anything!" She says and his smile is returned once more.

He uses magic to pick her up, along with some water, and he walks over to a brown case, which she just noticed was there. He opens it up and begins to climb inside. She gasps and sees him grin before he disappears. She begins to move again, and joins him in the case before it snaps shut. They are inside a small hut, and she sees him grab a potion, before moving her again. She didn't really need the water to breathe, but she guessed he didn't know much about her people. She would have to help him understand them better.