xvii.

To say that James was grieving is an understatement

To say that James was grieving is an understatement. It'd been a week since he had told Iris, and everyone around him tried to carry his pain a little within themselves.

Iris still held him whilst he cried himself to sleep every night. She would stroke his hair and whisper sweet nothings into his ear, in an attempt to lull him to sleep, letting him cling to her, being the only one who made him feel slightly less.

Remus and Peter, had been bringing him school work and helping him finish it, so he wouldn't fail his final year at Hogwarts, wanting nothing more than to take part of the load off the boy's shoulders.

Marlene and Sirius, had been trying to cheer him up and telling him of all the misfortunes Severus had dealt with, but it was pointless, the boy did not care for anything at the time, he just wanted his parents to hear him say that he loved them one last time.

Although, all these were setting James up for a road of recovery, the funeral was going to be the hardest thing he had ever faced in life, but he would not be doing so alone.

The day had come and Professor Dumbledore had allowed the seven of the seventh year students, Lily came to support the boy, knowing he needed as much support as possible, during the day off of the funeral, and much longer after this.

Iris swore she'd never seen the boys look more formal dressed in their suits. The funeral was taking place at the graveyard of Godric's Hollow, a place in which, the Potter family had been buried at for decades.

The location had chairs for invited guests and grieving friends and family, it was adorned with his mothers favourite flowers, she had always wanted them at her funeral, the boy remembered overhearing his mother say to his father.

The priest welcomed everyone, asking them to be seated, so the funeral could commence.

"I'd like to begin by joining everyone here today with a prayer to honour to lives of Fleamont and Euphemia and their loved ones who have lost." James held Iris' hand tighter, than he ever hand before, and he did not intend on letting go.

"Dear Lord,

We come today to honor our loved one.

We are gathered here today - not only to grieve the losses of  Fleamont and Euphemia Potter but to also give thanks to you for their life among us.

We are gathered here today -  not only to mourn over how different our lives will be without them, but to give thanks to you for how full life was when they were with us.

We have gathered here today - not only to consider the shortness and uncertainty of life on earth, but to give thanks to you for the gift of life and the gift of family and the gift of friendships.

Lord, we ask that you would comfort us this day as we come together to share love and sweet memories with one another.

In Jesus' name we pray,

Amen."

The priest concluded his prayer by a short moment of silence. James still had his hand connected to Iris, as he felt his composure slip.

"I'd like to next invite the son of the couple lost, to say something in commemoration of their lives that had blessed us on this earth." The weather was cold, the wind howling; but nothing was colder than the look on James' face, as he let go of his girlfriends hand and faced the crowd. .

"I'm not very good at these things and I'm more than certain, I'm going to cry, but here we go." James took a breath, his hands shaking as he looked at the speech in his hands, wishing that he never had to read it, that it wasn't real. "My parents were amazing, and I'm not saying that as a spoilt only child, who got whatever they wanted. I'm saying this as someone who was and forever will be proud of their accomplishments and their impact they have left upon the world."

"My parents raised me to be the best person I could possibly be. They provided me with love, shelter, food and education, but, more importantly, they gave me the opportunity to grow and follow in their footsteps to impact on the lives around me." The boy's tears were cascading down his face, "They may have lost their lives but we haven't lost the war. Their death will never be in vain. I'm just sorry we didn't get a chance to say goodbye. I love you guys." James walked back to his seat, not being able to be in front of them all, putting on a front.

Everyone was emotional, Iris held her tears , trying for the boy she loved, as she reconnected her hand with his, giving it a light squeeze. Remus and Lily were holding onto each other, and Sirius and Marlene were blubbering messes.

James tried to sink deeper into the strawberry blondes side, wishing this was all a nightmare that he would soon wake from.

It was dusk, when the funeral ended and all who remained was the seven Hogwarts students. Slowly one by one, they all left leaving only Iris and James to stand at the fresh graves of two remarkable individuals, who made James Potter into the boy he was today.

"We're going to be okay." She told him soothingly, rubbing his arm lightly, in attempt to comfort him.

"You don't know that, Iris. We don't know anything." He sighed, staring at his feet, an empty feeling growing in his chest.

"I know that, I love you and for now, that's all I've got, but, we're going to graduate and you're parents are going to be proud of you, just like they always have been."