Chapter Fifteen - When The Lights Go Down

Start from the beginning

“The victim list is as follows:

-Marianna Grey, 28         

-Harold Abernitch, 71      

-Gregory Penn, 56           

-Billy Calder, 19             

-Charlene Redmann, 31 

-Harley Wilson, 17       

-Robert Johns, 49         

-Jay Hinde, 19             

-Rachael Louis, 23      

-Cara Bellamy, 26

“Families were devastated by the deaths, and five days later, Malcolm was charged and put in prison. His sentence was for twenty-five years to life, and Stark pleaded guilty on all charges.

“Two years later, he committed suicide in his cell after sneaking in a harborage of weapons from the guard weapons room.

“It’s is still unknown if he ever had family, or how he got the weapons.”

I shut the book and turned to the group. “That’s all it says.”

Jason leant forward, staring at the leather-bound cover. “But it says that this Malcolm guy died.”

I nodded. “He did. They had an open-casket funeral and everything. He was laid to rest in 2000.”

“Well, then, who’s doing this? Because it’s obviously not this Malcolm guy,” Jason said, staring at me imploringly for answers.

I shrugged. “A copycat, maybe? I mean, today was…” I sighed, and ran a hand through my hair. “Today was the fifteen-year anniversary for their deaths.”

“It’s May 10th today,” River supplied, running a hand through his unruly, curling mass of dark hair as the answers dawned on him.

I nodded and looked down at my lap.

“Can I have a look at that for a second?” River asked, gesturing to the thick book that sat, dejected, on the wooden table I was seated at.

I nodded and pushed the volume across the table towards him, and he picked it up and began thumbing through it.

“So, what do we do? I mean, how do we stop this from happening?” Donovan asked.

Everyone was staring at me as if I might know all the answers. Sure, I was a history buff, but that didn’t necessarily mean I knew everything. “I don’t know,” I muttered.

“Sh*t!” River cried, and I looked up at him.