24 - Battle for the Earth

JUSTIN

The next few hours had been spent familiarizing ourselves with our respective teams. Sarah had prompted us to do so, her reasoning being that it would help promote teamwork and fluidity.

Théodor, or Théo, had the ability to manipulate light. When I first learned of this, I was confused as to why he was on with us - that is, until he gave a demonstration. His creation of mirages as distractions and the concentration of deadly solar rays, coupled with the speed at which he moved, quickly rationalized the decision for me.

Alana, a middle-aged Italian woman, could conjure and command plasma,proving how deadly the largely unknown, fourth state of matter could be. This, of course, included everything from neon signs to lightning bolts.

Dominic could control technology. Anything electronic was at his power's disposal. The twenty-two year old South African was a force to be reckoned with regardless because of his build and stature - nevermind the live cables he could create out of nothing.

Lisa, a terrakinetic from the Philippians, brought our team to nine. At fifteen, she was the youngest of us, but by no means did age determine strength where she was concerned.

And finally there was Jericho, a sixteen year old from Colorado. He was the only other person who measured up to my power.

Overall we were quite the team. A couple of telekinetics, two different versions of pyrokinetics, both a naturokinetic and an anthrokinetic, a terrakinetic, a lumokinetic, and two unikinetics. The ages ranged from fifteen to fifty-three and the different places of origin couldn't be more diverse.

We might actually have a chance.

At that moment, I was walking up and down the line, watching everyone use their powers and trying to figure out how best to coordinate my team. Cody and Dom were effectively opposites of one another, making them a difficult but, if collaborated correctly, dangerous pair. I knew I had to keep Maddie and Claire together, but I figured I could put Lisa with them to provide defense. At first, I thought there was no sense in having Ian and Alana near each other, but then I found out that Ian couldn't actually start fires, so he'd need a source– something that Alana's lightning could provide. Lastly, Théo would be running defense for Cody and Dom, and Jer would be with me.

I scanned the crowd and saw that the other team heads were doing the same, organising their troops ... It was so sad that I was considering these people, who were going about their daily business mere hours ago, troops, soldiers, men and women of war.

"Justin!"

I searched for the source of the shout, my gaze finally landing on Bryan, who was making his way through the sea of people toward me.

"Hey, is everyone ready to go?"

"Almost; Mary's just briefing the last of the humans."

"How's that going?"

"All things considered, pretty okay,' he said with a shrug, "At this point, most people are just glad to have heavy hitters on their side too."

I nodded, "Where's Sam?"

"He's over there with my group," I glanced in the direction Bryan had indicated and spotted him. He seemed to be deep in conversation with Chris, who had a map spread out on a pile of rubble between them.

"It'll be okay, kiddo."

"Yeah," I mumbled, refocusing on Bryan and smiling weakly. We stood in companionship for several moments, not speaking, just being there.