[8]

[8]

                I was so, so close to him. Only two seats between us. But I felt like it would be cheating at something if I skipped those chairs and sat right next to him. So I sat two stools away from Coffee Boy and ate. Before my nerves disappeared I asked,

                “How’s your dad?”

Coffee Boy stiffened and stared straight ahead at the wall. But then he relaxed a little.

                “He’s been better.”

I nodded.

                “Can I ask what’s wrong?”

He bit his lip and my eyes flickered down to follow the movements. When I looked up I was surprised to meet an amused gaze. Then it hardened and he looked down. I flushed red.

                “He came home the other night all beat up and bruised. He probably got into some fight or something. And then he expected me to help him and so what could I do rather than help him?” I stared at my Ben’s Vegetarian Special tray. When I looked up again I saw the door open and straightened up. An older man had walked in. I looked at Coffee Boy and his eyebrows rose.

                It felt as if someone had intruded on something special and private. Something of ours and only ours, even though the fast-food restaurant was 24/7 and open to the public. And I knew that Coffee Boy wouldn’t talk now.

                “Sheesh, don't kill anyone or anything,” Coffee Boy spoke up with humor held in his voice, much to my surprise.

                “I’m about to.” He looked at me, his amused expression matching his voice. “That man who just came in,” I answered his silent question. “Now you’re not going to talk.” He smiled and shook his head.

                “No, I’m not.”

I sighed and nodded, then threw my trash away.

                “Good night.”

                “Good night.”

I walked out with a venomous glare thrown at the older man. I heard a low chuckle follow me and then blow away with the strong wind outside.

 A/N:

ERMAHGERD HE LAUGHED.

 :O

Vote? Comment?

-Nova.