2. Shattered Glass

Waking up every morning had never been a problem to me. In fact, I love waking up early before the sun even wakes up, just to be in time before the sunrises. Everyday, I would always find myself looking out the window in awe. It was truly magnificent. The more I see the sunrise, the more I was thankful for being alive. The sunrise had always been my favourite thing to see every morning. That is until now.

I woke up with the sound of glass shattering. I quickly sat up from my bed, feeling petrified. My mind was telling there was a robber breaking into the house so I dragged myself out of bed, being absolutely aware. I slowly walked out my room. I was being as careful as I could be, not to make any sound.

The sound of shattering glass continued to be heard as I tiptoed to the kitchen, which I assumed the sound was coming from. I peeked inside the kitchen and saw mum opening the fridge. I sighed in relief. Thank god it's not a robber, I thought. But little did I knew something was wrong with her. She kept on closing and opening the fridge, not even looking what was inside.

"Mum?" I called with a low tone. I saw her stopping her actions, leaving the fridge door open. I was utterly confused and not to mention, terrified. It had been so long since I've lived with her and it felt like I don't even know her.

I saw her head moving to my direction. It was a very slow turn. I gulped, knowing there was indeed something wrong with her. As she turned her head to me, I could see her hair was covering half of her face. Her eyes were immensely red as her pupils grew darker and rounder. She was acting very strange. Her body was shuddering. Her control over her body seemed to be poor. She was also mumbling some words that I didn't quite understand.

"Mum?" I questioned, thinking this was all a prank or maybe just a nightmare but it wasn't. I accidentally stepped on a broken glass, leaving a few drops of blood falling. I whimpered in pain, trying to get the glass out of my feet.

I stopped when I heard my mother's laughed. It was not a typical laugh but hysterical. I put down my feet, observing her. Her movement was different from when I saw her in the morning. She dropped on her knees before slowly crawling to me, still laughing.

"What is wrong with you?!" I exclaimed, obviously petrified. She went closer to me, reaching out for my legs. I quickly kicked it off of me before running upstairs. I heard footsteps following me from behind. She was chasing me!

I ran as fast as I could, ignoring the pain on my feet until I reached to my room. I quickly went inside, locking the door behind me as I heard her knocking my door, almost smashing it. My heart was racing so fast, I couldn't even breath properly.

After a few seconds, she stopped knocking. I could hear her grouching from the other side of the room as I heard footsteps walking away. I sighed in relief, dropping myself to the floor. My legs were shaking, unabling me to move a single muscle.

I turned to my alarm clock at my nightstand and saw it was almost 5 am. I usually woke up at this time but now, I really don't think it's a good idea.

What is wrong with mum?