The Unexpected Guest

October 12, 2016

As I was waiting for my turn to go in for my monthly check-up with Dr. Lestrade. My uncle John had handed me this one mysterious note. "Can you give this to her, whenever you go back there?" I was very curious about what the letter was about. Though the way he placed this mysterious script within my palm was a bit questioning. I looked down at the closed note and back up at him with a raised brow. "Is there something wrong, John?"

"No, there's nothing wrong." He assured, unconvincingly. Then for a short while. Nothing but awkward silence was present within that waiting room as we exchanged glances. Then all of a sudden, Johns' mobile rings and creates a disturbance. He reaches for his for his pocket in embarrassment- even though he would have considered it a blessing due to its helpful nature of rescuing him fro further interrogation- and looks at the text that he just received. "I have to go. Sherlock wants me to help him with something."

"What does he need your help for?"

"There has been a recent homicide, but I don't know where. Sherlock did not give me any information about it." another text has interrupted him, again, "I have to go now. You know Sherlock." He sighed and scratched his head as he paces toward the door. "He does not like to be kept waiting." As he begins to escape from possible future interrogation. He then looks back at me as he adjusts his jacket with a certain pop. I will see you when you get home." John turns back round and begins to stroll off with thankfulness of getting out of an awkward situation- but also sighs due to the fact that I'm not the petite, shy little girl that he use to hold close and tight whenever she got scared; wiped the tears off her porcelain cheek whenever she scraped her knee; or the little girl that he would run to and cover my eyes whenever Sherlock was experimenting with rotting corpses- which has become a part of my plethora of interest (He didn't do such a good job protecting me from that, I guess). "Bye, Amelia." I was all grown-up- 19 years of age, in fact. I went from this lonely, fragile child to this peculiar, intelligent, combat ready women that become a part of the miraculous 221b Baker St. team. And as I watched him trolley off like some kiddish school boy, racing to take hold of a wondrous treat. Even though he isn't like Sherlock Holmes, himself, per say, but he does get off in all of theses potential dangerous tasks. Just like after that horrid, god awful accident that happened a few years back when I was just a child. If it weren't for him and Sherlock taking me under there wing- even though there were moments of frustration and accidental teachings- and raising me all these years to be a unique and brilliant individual. To be the best that I could be. I saw a man whom I could trust and look up to in times of trouble. In which I'll always be thankful. "Bye, John"

After waiting in a dull and dead room for what seemed to be ages. I finally went into the examination room. I gave Dr. Lestrade the letter that my uncle told me to give to her. "I was told by my uncle to give this to you. He said that it was a urgent letter."

"Well, thank you, Ms. Watson." She smiled as she reached out her trembling hand to take grasp of the mystery note. Then she began to read.

Dear Dr. Lestrade

"I am very concerned about my niece, Amelia. And I was wondering what might be wrong with her.

She has been acting very peculiar and strange for the past three weeks for some particular reason. And she has been talking about some changes in herself as well...."

Before she got to the mid section of the letter, she had a weird reaction to it as she glanced back up at me. Trying to cover her curiosity and confusion with an old lady grin. "Excuse me for a moment. I will be back in a few." She said as she walked out the room and gradually closed the door. "I wonder what it is about. Hopefully it is something good and not something dreadful that I could not be told about." I began tp threat upon the topic for quite sometime, but with knowing John and his loyal qualities. If it was something that had to do with me. He would have just asked me, or even informed me about what was wrong. Now, if it was about himself, then why would she leave the room to read it- he's not the current patient that is sitting, patiently on a rugged slab that's pampered with crumpled old paper; but if it's about me, why wouldn't he tell me? What was so terribly dreadful that he could possibly keep from me? It has been about thirty minutes now and still no reply from Dr. Lestrade at all. As I was waiting, I kept pacing all around the room in a highly curious manner. Where could he be? I thought as I am still walking about in the small, quite lit room.

I couldn't wait any longer- I am usually a patient person but I was about to go mad due to this lingering uncomfortable silence. Then once my anxiety reached its peak and my sanity was about to concave. Dr. Lestrade, gradually strolling back into the room with a quizzical but concerned look on her flushed face. "What did the letter say?" She looked at me as she walked over to get her stethoscope and walks slowly over to me as she is putting it in his ears. He comes over and places it on my chest and listens carefully on one side then checks the other side, and repeats the pattern until..... "What in the world?" She says as she backs up to the other side of the room, with a look of fear and confusion in her glistening eyes.

"What is wrong Dr. Lestrade?" Then all of a sudden, the door slung open. Causing both Dr. Lestrade and myself to jump out of shock and surprise. With stranger standing in the chipped doorway. A tall, slender gentleman with a pen-striped suit glides across the floor, holding a weird object that looks rather like a pen and points it directly in my direction. "Ha!" He said with excitement. He then exchanges glances between me and Dr. Lestrade then looks off in the distance with disappointment. "Why is this blasted thing not working?" He says as he hits the sides of the odd contraption

"Who the bloody hell are you?" She asked the strange man. Grasping her chest as she continues to catch her breath. He sees that he has startled us and rebuilds a proper stature of etiquette. "My apologize," he chuckled slightly, "I'm the Doctor."

"Doctor, who?"

"Just, Doctor." He replies with a slight smirk

"Okay. Well, can you come her and examine her please." She gives him the stethoscope as he walks toward me. "In all of my years of working here, Doctor. I haven't encountered such a case as this."

"Such a case as this? What do you mean by: such a case as this?" I abruptly asked while feeling a bit insulted. Dr. Lestrade didn't respond to my question, but rather stepped backward with her shriveled knuckles rested upon her upper lip. As he begins to place the earpieces of the stethoscope in his ears. The Doctor takes a short glance at me with a thorough brown and then brings back his concentration back on my beating heart. "What is the matter, this is just a normal heart beat." He looks back at Dr. Lestrade with concern. "I don't hear anything wrong with it, so what is wrong with her heart?"

"No, no, check the other side."

"Why?"

"Just check the other side. Please." He thought that she was kidding around, but she insisted for him to check the other side. Gravely, I might even add. He slowly checks the other side of my chest and listens carefully. After a minute of concentrating on that side, he switches the stethoscope to right and to the left over, and over, and over, constantly... "That can not be. No it must not be."

"What must not be?" Dr. Lestrade asked. "What is wrong with her?" He looks at the weird man with a worried glance. The weird man looks into my eyes and smiles a half smile. "She will have to come with me...

"Why does she have to go with you? And where will you be taking her?" He asked.

"To ask her some questions." The weird man replied.

"Who exactly are you?" I replied out of curiosity.

"I'm the Doctor, and who are you?" He asked with a beaming grin as he stooped down to meet my gaze. "Amy, but where will you be taking me?"

He looked at me with a wide kiddish grin and replied. "On a adventure of a life time." He said as he grabbed my hand and out the door we went. Without a trace.