After about 15 minutes of driving, they arrived in front a huge house. When I say huge, I meant almost white house big. Okay, maybe that was a bit much but it was really big compared to the houses Jane grew up with.

Jeremy turned the car off and turned back to face Maggie, Calvin and Jane. His eyes lingering longer on Jane than needed.

"Y'all freshmans?" He asked, narrowing his eyes.

"Yes." The three chirped in unison. 

"Wells, y'all needa to be very careful at this party. People take advantage of freshmans ecspicially negro freshman, so just watch your backs. 'Right?" Jeremy noted, his eyes on Jane the whole time.

"Yes'm. Thank you kindly, Jeremy." Jane whispered, shyly. She looked around, outside the car. All around people, black and white, were piling out of cars or walking from who knows were to get into the huge house. Jane only wanted to see one person in particular, however. 

Jane didn't realize she was still looking around until she saw all of her friends outside the car staring at her weirdly. 

"Any day now." Maggie joked, clutching Janes hand and helping her out of the car.

Once Jane was on her feet, Maggie and Janice automatically went to either side of her, looping their arms with hers. 

"I'm so giddy!" Maggie exclaimed, grinning. 

"I expect that from you, Maggs. But don't be getting in no trouble. Got it?" Janice snapped, winking at Maggie. 

Jane watched as Maggies eyes widened at the sight of Jerry Carl, the boy Maggie had loved since 3rd grade. He was Maggies complexion with light brown eyes and thick but not rough black hair. He was cute in a best friend type of way to Jane. 

His eyes met Maggies and he promptly checked her out. Sauntering over to us, he smiled goofily at Maggie. 

"Well, don't you look like a miracle. You clean up well, Miss. Heart." Jerry explained, wrapping his arms around Maggie in a long hug. Maggie's full name is Margaret Heart by the way. Jane watched as Maggie nearly exploded with happiness, grinning and blushing like a wild woman. 

"Aw, thank you kindly, Jerry. I wish I could say the same about you." Maggie joked, melting as Jerry left his arm around her shoulder. 

Jerry laughed and started to pull Maggie away.

"I'll catch up with y'all later!" Maggie said, turning her head slightly.

Jane and Janice exchanged looks. 

"Wow, they hit it off quick! He was so into her I don't even think he noticed we were here." Jane noted, smiling slightly. 

Janice nodded and they proceeded to walk into the grand entrance of the house. It was a huge doorway that could've fit 15 people into it at once, all shoulder to shoulder. The beautiful white-rosy finish, door bent into a great arch. Once the two of them stepped into the house, the whole atmosphere changed. 

An invisible line seperated the blacks from the whites and each side threw daggers to another on the other side. When Jane, Janice, Calvin and Jeremy walked in a few white people and more than half of the black people snapped their heads to them. Jane gulped thickly and scurried over to the blacks, but is that really were she belonged? 

Jane had both of these bloodlines inside of her so where did she really belong? Should she just go stand on the tight string that seperated them? No, Jane decided. She would stay planted right where she was. Because even if she was half white, her friends were black, she looked more black and she lived in a black neighborhood. She didn't embrace her white heritage at  all.