Chapter 1: Rhyan

Copyright © 2013 by Jhasper P.

All rights reserved. All content in this story is owned by Jhasper P. It is illegal to steal and/or copy.

------------------------------------------------------------

Chapter 1: Rhyan

Rhyan's POV

"Rhyan!" Kat screamed for my attention.     

"What?" I replied, reluctantly pausing the song on my iPod.

"Do you want to come with me and Mom to greet the new neighbors down the street?" she asked eagerly in her sweet 10 year old voice.

I sighed. "I guess." Half of me wanted to meet them, but the other half wanted to take advantage of Winter Break and listen to music. "Is Marta going?"

Kat opened her mouth to reply but I interrupted her. "Wait. Let me guess.  You didn't ask Marta, 'cause you know she's not gonna come?"

"Ah-viously!" Kat said in a perfect imitation of Marta's voice.

I laughed. "Ok. I'll go."

Me, Kat, and my mom walked out of our house, located in South Pasadena, California. Known for its shopping areas, and proximity to L.A., South Pasadena is definitely not boring. With clear weather, blue skies, slight breezes, and an average of 70° all year round, our city is an idyllic place to live.

A light breeze fluttered and my chestnut hair flewinto my face. As we walked down Cardigan Lane towards Sterling Drive, I startedto think about Joel McCrea High School, also known as JMC, Valentine's Formal. Everybody gets Homecoming, thesophomores get the Snowflake Dance, the seniors get Prom, and the juniors get theValentine's Formal. Even though we're still on Winter Break, it's a fact thatthat is all that JMC juniors werethinking about the Formal right now.

"We're here!" Mom said as we stopped in front of a house, painted a cheery light green.

Mom pulled out her basket of cookies and brownies she had baked for the new neighbors. She walked up to the doorbell and pressed it.

Soon after my mom had pressed the doorbell, a pretty woman with jet black hair and blue eyes opened the door. Mom opened her mouth to say something, but then she gasped and stood frozen in the doorway. The woman stood there too, with a confused look on her face.

"Is that... Are you... Marie Bennett?" Mom stuttered.

"Why, yes I am. And you are...?" The woman spoke in a British accent, clearly confused. Then, after a split second, her eyes lit up. "Are you Sophie Cunningham?"

"Yes, yes it is!" Mom said in a weird squeaky voice. Both women started hugging each other and jumping up and down as if they had won the lottery.

Kat poked my shoulder. "Who is that lady?"

I leaned over and whispered, "I think that's Mrs. Bennett, our old neighbor from when we lived in New Jersey."

"I don't remember her."

"Well, duh. You were only two when we lived in Princeton!"

"Well, if she lived in New Jersey, why does she have an England accent?"

"Its British accent, not England accent. And I have no idea..."

"Mum? Why are you shrieking?" inquired a voice with a British accent. Suddenly, a tall boy came into view. He was a spitting image of his mother, with curls in his black hair and sparkling blue eyes. He looked so familiar...

I stared at him, frozen, suddenly remembering who he was. In an abnormally loud voice I squawked, "Drew!" Everybody slowly turned and stared at me. I blushed and studied my black Toms.

"It's so good to see you again, Marie!" My mom said, breaking the awkward silence. "But I have one question. Your British accent is sounding stronger than it did back in Princeton! Did you and Peter decide to move back to England?"

"Yes. Peter got a job opportunity at a local high school in Oxford. I was missing Mum and Dad terribly and we thought it would be nice for the boys to experience a different culture! We moved soon ater you guys movedm

"Oh that's wonderful! But what made you guys move to South Pasadena?"

"Peter got another job opportunity here to teach European History at Joel McCrea High School."

My mom looked over at Drew. "Drew, you have grown up to be such a handsome young man!"

Drew blushed and stole a quick glance at me. He responded, "Thank you, Mrs. Cunningham."

"Please, call me Sophie. What grade are you in now?"

"I'm in 11th."

"Oh how wonderful! Rhyan is in the same grade! Are you going to be going to JMC as well?"

Drew gave my mom a confused look. "Pardon?"

"Joel McCrea High School," I said helpfully.

Drew gave me a small smile. He smiled at me! "Oh. Yes, I'm going there."

"And Cyril will be going to Joel McCrea as well," Marie added.

"Oh, that's wonderful! If I remember correctly, he's sixteen, just like my daughter, Marta. She is attending JMC too." A quick look of confusion flashed across Marie and Drew's faces, but then they remembered. They nodded.

 Mom looked at her watch. "Oh my! I would love to stay and chat, but we have to go! I have to drop Marta off at dance practice. Can we get together on Sunday?"

"That sounds perfect, Sophie! See you then!"

"Bye, Rhyan." Drew had a small smile on his face as he waved. With butterflies in my stomach, I waved back.

"Hey Mom," I asked. "Can you drop me off at McKenna's before you drop off Marta?"