Chaper 1

I stared at my parents waving me off. They were excited for what I was chosen to do. I had no say whether I was going to do it or not, the way all this worked is that either way I must be out by morning. And now I'm out. I wasn't going to miss them much. They were always forcing me out to do things I didn't want to do. This was no exception, obviously.

I wasn't excited. The path was rocky, they refused me shoes, and everyone was happy to watch me miserably leave. Well, mostly everyone. Just before the outside of the town was about six houses that all contained my friends. They gave me the extra supplies I would need. Friends are great.

"Thanks, Cody," I looked at the person nearest to me. "I'm glad we wear the same shoe size."

They laughed slightly, their messy, curly blue-green hair bouncing happily. I never understood why they shaved one whole half of their hair, but they were happy about the look. I didn't like to complain since it was their life. I mean it isn't my place. She also wore weird clothes she stitched herself, one half had little speckles and the other was blank. Towards the end of the line where she had stitched, there was usually some kind of shape, usually a diamond or triangle. Although a few times I had seen a square and a circle. Their pants were usually a white or grey color with the right side having little squiggles where the knee was. No one really knew why they put them there, but hey no one complained.

"No worries," their voice was sweet and angelic. It sent a calm through my body, reminding me how things will be okay. Cody always had that effect on me, and many other people. I told them they should try to be mayor or something high up, giving speeches and stuff like that. They replied with how it just wasn't their thing to be up in front of crowds and shrugged.

"Thanks again, person." I smiled at my not-very-clever wording. Cody must have found it humorous because they laughed happily. They quickly hugged me and pushed me off.

"Go and say bye to the rest of the friends." They had a sad smile on their face. "We don't know the next time we'll see you again. Or if we'll ever see you again."

The sad truth set upon me like the night to the day, as the sun fell and the moon rose. But that truth I accepted, that all light came a darkness and all darkness came a light. I couldn't accept I might never come back home to my town, my city. My childhood memories, my dreams, my everything was in this place, and I may never come back. I may never see Alex, Cody, Kitty, Mr. and Mrs. Addinghale, and the rest of my friends. I held back my sob. Not right now. I had friends to go and say goodbye to.

I told Cody to tell their parents I said bye and headed off to the rest of my friends. They all said they wished it was them, not me. I didn't deserve such a thing. I was too positive, too perfect. I had so much to live for, I could be something great. I could end up with a great family, a great husband, a great house, a great everything. But instead I was chosen to a death mission. They would rant and then start to cry. Even after I left. I hated this, this was making my friends sad. I could do nothing to help it. I was helpless.

I, then, made my way down the path. My legs were shaking, my new and filled backpack was hurting my back. I was never given exercises to carry heavy things like most kids, I guess my parents didn't expect them to actually pick me. But guess what parents? They did. My back felt like it had been laying on spiky rocks all night, my legs were jelly, and my arms were so numb I forgot they existed. I decided I was going to hate this, every moment of it.