Chapter One: Circus Whisper

Start from the beginning

            During the whole show, the nagging voices kept telling me to leave, but I simply ignored them. The show was too extraordinary to leave. At one point, two lions jumped through two hoops and a lady appeared as the lions landed back onto the ground. She even walked through fire! How cool is that? We were nearing the end of the show when the ring mast appeared in a puff of smoke.

            It’s not safe here.

            Those same whispering voices returned once again just telling me the same things. They seemed to just appear at the weirdest times.

            “Ladies and gentlemen! Thank you for coming out to see our wonderful show! Now to show our thanks to our audience every show, we pick a selection of twenty-five people to come join us for a tour in our preparation and animal tents!” the ring master exclaimed. Those words made me listen intently. I really wanted to go on that tour and it was evident that a lot of other people did too because excited murmurs ran through the entire audience.

            “Since we’re feeling generous today, we decided to pick fifty lucky people to come join us!” As those words left the ring master’s lips, the crowd began to cheer and talk all abut

            “Now, now, everyone settle down so we can get this settled!” he commanded. Everyone instantly grew quiet. I could feel the anxiety in the air as everyone waited for him to make the announcement. We all watched the small little group until they all broke away from each other with big smiles on their faces. This was the moment that we all had been waiting for.

            “We would like to invite those with the ticket numbers from 650 - 700 please come join us!”

            I looked over at my dad just waiting for him to tell us if we got to go or not. He looked at out tickets and smile spread across his face. When he held up our tickets, I just wanted to scream from excitement. I saw our tickets read: 665, 666, 667. I was so excited to be going on this tour.

            “Now will all those fifty lucky people please come down and join us? We would be grateful if everyone would kindly leave the park now since this is a private tour! Please come join us next time for another exciting installment!”

            A mix of groans and squeals filled the whole tent. As the fifty lucky people moved to where the performers were, everyone else slowly filled out of the tent. A few of the performers left with the departing people only to return fifteen minutes later saying that everything was clear. A wide smile appeared across the ring master’s face as he began to explain to us about the preparation tent.

            Never trust a smile like that.

            Another warning of some sort. As we entered the preparation tent, I noticed right away that colorful costumes, wigs, and make-up were scattered all about the place. A lot of which looked very expensive. He began to explain the whole process they had to undergo before and after the shows. This didn’t really intrigue me as much as it did some other people, but it was really cool to see all the sparkling costumes and colorful wigs.

            We proceeded to the animal tent, the tent I had been waiting to see. As we walked in there, it was like I had walked into a mystical world of some sort. The animals were all sheltered in their fancy, spacious, metal cages. As they began the tour, I was already ahead of everyone. I was just too interested in all the animals. It always seemed like the only other living beings on this planet that enjoyed having me around besides my parents were the animals.

            It’s not safe here. Go hide in the bathroom.

            I really didn’t want to leave such an amazing place, but I had the compelling urge to do as the voices told me. I waved good-bye to the lions that I had been secretly conversing with and ran back to my mom, telling her that I was off to the bathroom. She simply nodded and told me to be careful. I walked out of the tent unnoticed and began to walk around in search of the bathroom. When I finally found it, I was a bit surprised to find it already occupied. I waited a few minutes before the door unlocked and a boy with dirty blonde hair stepped out. Once I saw him, I began to play with my black dyed hair like I always did when I got nervous. I knew who he was. He was Drew Cambers. He went to my high school and was almost in every class as I had. He also happened to be the popular guy that all the girls wanted to date, and I happened to be one of those girls, but I never had the courage to actually go up and talk to him, so he doesn’t even know who I am. I was sure of that because no one ever did. He gave me a friendly smile as walked by me, but then suddenly stopped.