viii. a day in the city

"You know, Mr. Scamander, I really should be the one showing you around New York City," Penelope commented with a laugh as she followed Newt through the busy streets of the city.

"Well, that wouldn't be quite right. I may not know where in Merlin's name I'm going, but I am going to bring you to the Statue of Libery," Newt responded as he looked around him in awe. Penelope was going to tell him that he was going in the complete opposite direction, though he continued speaking before she had a chance to do so. "I'm going to tell you this because I trust you, and you'll be more understanding of it than Tina or Jacob."

Penelope furrowed her eyebrows, confused. "Okay, go on."

"That Occamy isn't the only creature that is still loose in the city," Newt said quickly, mumbling as if he didn't what her to hear exactly what he said. "I noticed this morning that Dougal my Demiguise is missing."

Penelope understood completely how Newt had overlooked the Demiguise, as the creatures could turn invisible anytime they please. "Well, we'll just have to look for them, then. It's okay to overlook one creature, Newt, especially if it's a Demiguise."

Newt slowed his pace, and he looked over at Penelope with his signature crooked smile. "I like you, Penny," he said suddenly. Then, as if he had just realized what he said, he coughed awkwardly and looked in front of him once more. "A lot of people do, I can tell. You're a very likable woman."

A stab of disappointment hit Penelope as he added the last part, though she had no idea why. She shook off the feeling as she mentally scolded herself. "A lot of people like you, too, Newt."

"Not really, no. I annoy people," Newt murmured quickly, his eyes on the ground.

Penelope pursed her lips, suddenly feeling sympathy towards the man. She could tell back in the Congress that he was self-conscious of himself, especially since MACUSA referred to him as the war hero Theseus Scamander's little brother, who just so happened to be expelled from Hogwarts.

She turned to look at the blonde-haired man beside her, a small smile prying at her lips as he glanced at her. "I like you, Newt. I like you a lot."

Newt gazed at her for a long moment, his blue eyes showing some emotion that she did not recognize, then opened his mouth to speak. He didn't get a chance to, however, as he got distracted when Penelope suddenly stopped in her tracks.

About ten feet in front of them was a rally, and Penelope didn't have to look twice to know that it was for the New Salem Philanthropic Society. At the front of the rally stood Mary Lou Barebone, an unmistakable face that Penelope had seen far too often. Behind her was a large banner that showed the Second Salemer's flag- a broken wand  being held over a fire.

Penelope shuddered at the scene; she grabbed Newt's arm and quickly turned around, hoping that none of the Second Salemers noticed them. Her wish, however, did not come true.

"You there!" Penelope stopped walking as she heard the bone-chilling voice of Mary Lou. Slowly, she turned around and faced the short-haired woman. "Do you not wish to hear the truth?"

Penelope pursed her lips, trying to find the right words to say. If she said the wrong thing, Mary Lou would certainly think she was a witch herself, and she sure as hell didn't want to get caught up in that mess. "We're just going the wrong way, is all," she said simply, forcing herself to smile at the creepy lady. "We were heading to the Statue of Liberty; it was a mistake to let a Brit lead the way."

~

Later that evening, Penelope and Newt had met Tina, Jacob, and Queenie on the roof of the apartment building where Mr. Kawolski lived. Penelope sat on a single bench beside Jacob, watching Newt closely as he paced back and forth on the edge of the building.

"I can't believe there are two more of your creatures running loose in the city, and you're just now telling us about it," Tina said to him in an annoyed tone. "Graves had always insisted that the disturbances were caused by a beast. We need to catch your creatures so he can stop using them as a scapegoat."

Newt shook his head at his words, avoiding the brown-haired woman's gaze. Pickett the Bowtruckle sat on his shoulder, imitating the man's actions; this caused Penelope to laugh quietly at the creature. "There's only two still missing," Newt told the brown-haired woman, glancing at her for a split second before his eyes traveled over to Penelope. "An Occamy and Dougal, my Demiguise."

"Dougal?" Tina repeated with a small smile, raising an eyebrow.

Newt turned to look at her for a moment, smiling slightly as he nodded. Suddenly, his face became serious once more. "Slight problem," he murmured, turning away from her once more. "He's uh- he's invisible. Well, most of the time. He can choose when not to be."

Once again, Tina looked at the man with an annoyed look and scoffed. "And how exactly do we catch-"

"With immense difficulty," Newt responded before she had a chance to finish her sentence.

Tina only nodded, a short laugh falling from her lips as she mumbled a simple, "oh."  Newt turned to look at her, echoing her laugh as his blue eyes met hers. Penelope watched the pair from her spot on the bench, feeling a twinge of jealously as she watched them connecting.

Tina suddenly took a step towards Newt, her eyes widening as if she had just thought of a brilliant plan. "Gnarlak," she mumbled simply.

This earned her a confused look from Newt, and he took a step forwards. The two were only inches away from each other, and Penelope found herself looking away as her stomach dropped. "Excuse me?"

"Gnarlak," Tina repeated, raising her voice. "He was an informant of mine when I was an Auror. He used to trade in magical creatures on the side."

"He wouldn't have an interest in helping us out, would he?" Newt asked her.

Tina crossed her arms over her chest, looking genuinely pleased with herself. "He's interested in anything he can sell," she said with a smirk.