Broken Dreams

The Emotion here is Anger.

     Clare sat on her bed feeling very angry. She had never felt this angry before in her whole life, all sixteen years of it. Alan was going away, emigrating to Canada with his parents and she would never see him again. The sadness of it all was overwhelming her right now... and nobody seemed to care.

It had taken her a while to figure it out, but only a few weeks ago she had come to the conclusion that she loved Alan, really loved him. She had never been sure of his feelings for her and had decided to tell him about her feelings, but how could she tell him now, if he was going away?

A thought fluttered through her mind and she rose from the bed and went downstairs to find her parents sitting quietly in the lounge. Her dad was reading the newspaper and her mum was knitting. The news of the Hardings leaving had also hit them hard. Ray and Pam were their best friends, as well as next door neighbours and they were also feeling upset about them going.

Her mother looked up as she entered the room.

"Are you all right, darling, you look a bit pale?"

Clare ignored the stupidity of the remark and sat down by her mother.

Even her parents were making her feel upset, as they appeared to be doing nothing to help the situation. Nothing for her, at least.

"Mum, can't you have a word with Pam? Alan wants to stay here and go into the sixth form with me, Mandy and Simon. He could stay here with us, especially now as Sandra is getting married next year."

Her mother took Clare's hand in her own.

"Oh darling, I know how upsetting this is, but it won't be for ever. Ray's dad is struggling since his wife died and Ray feels obliged to go and help him with the business. Actually, I have mentioned this to Pam and Ray, what you've just said I mean. They both said 'Family' stays together and frankly, I feel the same. If it was us, I wouldn't leave you behind with anyone."

"But that's so selfish. Alan doesn't want to go. Why are they making him go?"

"Well, what if he loves it there? The business is doing very well, Alan and Philip could both be rich in years to come."

Clare grew more angry every minute. She flew at her mother with the words,

"How can you say such things? When you've always taught me that money is not important and now, now, just because it fits your purpose, you are saying this." 

 With that, she stormed from the room.

In her room once more, her temper mounting, Clare grabbed the three china ballerinas from her window sill, which Pam had given her over three birthdays and threw them at the wall. They shattered and fell to the floor. She threw herself onto her bed and sobbed into the pillow.

510 words     

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

This is a little snippet from my romance, 'There's No Accounting For Love'.  It is not actually in the book, but a writer should know everything about their characters and this is something only I know about.

(And now you know about!)