Chapter 08: Danger

>>>>>>>>>>>>> Chapter 08 <<<<<<<<<<<<<

+ Danger +

    Ever had one of those days when everything seems to be going insanely wrong? Like a curse was suddenly making its presence known…Well this happens to be one of those days.

    Since I didn’t have time to comb my hair I had let it loose. The winds swept it into an impossible mess and the more I tried fixing it, the more it got into a tangle…and I was slowly morphing into Marge Simpson.

…Crap…

   I dashed out of the compound and into the main road and then down the intersection when my bike chains rebelled against me again.

…Crap times Infinity...!

   Stooping down to fix it to its proper place, I had gotten a glimpse of several girls wearing the SMA navy blue uniform walking towards the row of shops at the other side of the street. One of them. I recognized was a classmate of mine.

“Ruby?” she said, waving a hand at me.

    Fatima!

“Why are you guys out? Wasn’t the flag ceremony about to start?”

“What? School decided to have this day and the next for the Sports Fest preparations. Didn’t you get the GM last night? Ivy sent it to everyone in class.”

“Oh.” I’ve been reading the entire weekend so I didn’t really bother checking my phone for any messages.

“Ivy said you’ll be encoding the groupings soon. Text us what group we’re in, will you?”

“Yeah sure.” I nodded and smiled as they disappeared into a boutique.

     They were probably going to give the sales lady one heck of a day. What with the entire day to go through stalls and hit the malls, they’d probably give tons of sales personnel some bit of heck.

     So I went to do the encoding for the Sports Fest. The tragedy of Emeraldie’s death still flashed back to my consciousness many times as I made my way through the string of commercial buildings that swarmed near the school. Perhaps it was God’s hand that he had met Amber after how many years…

     I was lucky enough to get an empty cubicle at Bob’s Hanging Web. It took me about two and a half hours to get the job done. The encoding itself took less than an hour. Ivy had written the arrangements clearly on the notes she gave me and the schedules were there too. The two extra hours were for playing Defense of the Ancients a.k.a. DotA. I could go on about it and describe the entire battle in full detail…but…this chapter really didn’t need any of that. And after much hesitation, I decided to call off my creeps and get back to the task at hand. The printing station took a while too since there was already a line when I had stood up from my seat.

“Short, please. Single copy.” I said, handing the flash drive to the guy over the counter. “O, and log-out – number 13.”

   He looked over the monitor and at the number of pages on the file. I shook my head when he asked if it was colored.

“That’ll be 68.00php all in all.”

“Ok. Here.” They were still a bit warm when he handed me the papers. As soon as I got my change I went out and headed for school.

    They had been busy all right. There were bits and scrap of wood and art paper scattered along the hallways and inside the classrooms as well. I passed by each until I got to the second floor where the second year classes were.